Dear Faithfully Dangerous,

I am painting you.
The rough textural handlings,
the murky settings,
the wholly original approach to oils,
the treatment of light and shade.

I am painting you.
I've been profoundly affected
by your meeting place for the avant-garde,
peeling back the comfortable to expose a world.

I am painting you.
Large, figurative, highly charged,
filching from your purse,
the striped light from the blinds,
the awakening of twenty-first century art.

I am painting you.
The sweeping hills,
the dream-like quality,
this series of views
the subject of a lifelong search.

I am painting you and
this could be the end of God.
Or the beginning.
(A softly glowing niche,
enticing yet prohibitive,
you welcome the eye
while simultaneously excluding the body.)

Our attention is drawn to what is usually inconspicuous
in a fragile relationship that hinges
upon the flick of a switch.

I am painting you.
A self-taught artist linked to minimalism
because of his concern with architectural space
and subtle intervention.

My embrace of your light as medium, however,
is timeless.

Down by the river just you and I.
Linford for Over the Rhine

Over the Rhine at Coney Island's Moonlight Gardens, September 11, 1999.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 day of show. Tickets available at all
Ticketmaster outlets and at the door. Doors open at 7pm and show starts at
8pm. Niki Buehrig is opening.

P.S. We'll be playing a handful of songs with a few other groups tonight at
Seasongood Pavilion in Eden Park as part of a benefit for a number of
charities and community-minded organizations. It's called Friends Fest and
it's free. So if you are interested in a teaser of sorts, maybe we'll see you
on the benches under those tall trees. We start setting up around 7:30 and
will probably squeeze in about half-an-hour's worth of music in our segment.

Also, please note that the Christmastime concert in Cincinnati has been moved
to December 11, 1999. The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra needed the Taft
Theater Saturday, December 18, so we moved to Saturday, December 11. We have
a fantastic evening in mind for you and I'm sure Karin will probably let the
cat out of the bag at the Coney Island Show. She's not so good at keeping
secrets.