Re: "Selling out"

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 07:54:26 -0700 (PDT) Peter <feothan at yahoo_com>
writes:

> I find
>much inspiration in choosing limitations and in -
>not just making the best of them - but revelling
>in them and using them as strengths.  When a band
>(or a singer/songwriter type, for that matter)
>has limitless resources to play with, it tends to
>get creatively complacent and flabby.
>
>Peter

While that my be true, I think you would also have to agree that too
often the term indie acts as instant credibility for crap.  For example,
take "independent films."  Back in the day, anything that had subtitles
was considered a work of art.  These days anything that is independent is
considered brilliant, even if it's just a bunch of self-possessed
slackers hanging out at a convenient store talking about masturbation.
Bottom line -- indepentent or label, budget or not budget, if it ain't
good it ain't good.