Kerouac

I am still occasionally amazed at how many of my contemporaries there are
that don't know of On The Road.  Maybe it's a matter of what you're into,
but it seems I grew up knowing of it.

On The Road was written by Jack Kerouac and first published in 1955.
Kerouac is basically the grand poobah of the Beat Generation authors
(Kerouac, Alan Ginsberg, Neal Cassady, Willaim Burroughs, etc. - Another
great book is Viking Press' Portable Beat Reader.)  On The Road is the
book for which he is most well known.  It's basically a road book: Dean
Moriarty and Sal Paradise trek back and forth between the two coasts in
alternating bursts of rebellion and wistful liesure, motivated basically
by the desire to "suck the marrow out of life."  Thanks for asking.