Re: golden handcuffs.

Jay,
Obviously you are in a quandary. While I am not in your field I know a bit
about your field, a very little bit. My mother works for a company that also
makes engineering programs called SDRC if you are interested in that line of
work then you ought to check out their web site for open positions and more
information about the company. (www.sdrc.com) You might also want to check
out Cincinnati Milling machine/ Milacron/ Tool and Die Factory – I am not
sure of it’s exact name any more, but I am pretty sure you could find them
easily on the internet.  You could check out any of the automotive companies
as well.  Informix is in data base design, but I think you would probably
have to move to Portland OR for that and believe me, it would reek havoc on
any relationships you might have.  I know this because this is where my
ex-fiancé/boyfriend lives, oh and thank you all for the kind words in regard
to that situation.  But he loves it there and like you was looking for a job
where he would be respected and logic and reason would prevail and he has
been lucky enough to find it.  He has his frustrations, the people out there
are very laid back and he is very German no insult intended since I am the
same way and nationality.  Additionally there are all the other companies
that do anything with computers and engineering.  Honestly if you want to go
really far in your profession, then Cincinnati might not be the place for
you but that is just based on what I have heard from my ex and mother. I
think that in almost any company you will find corruption and they will do
things that are not ethically correct. Unfortunately companies as well as
most people are out for themselves and don’t care whom they must step on to
get what they want.  Typically what they want is money, which equals power,
this is not exclusive to your industry either, and I have even seen
organizations that are contributed to by the United Way act this way. You
could always start your own business or go into consulting then you could
control what is going on around you.

what of this ruthlessness? what of this merciless termination with no good
reason or even warning, but only the desire to streamline, to make lean?

It is the way of the world I believe, people have been taught if they do not
like something to cut it out of their life. Instead of considering what is
really at steak and that, is lives.  Should you or I or anyone else go along
with it? I don’t know it is not going to do good by saying to Cal that he
should not be firing these people with out notice.  It may even do more
harms than anything.  Or as Ysioe pointed out to me from that wonderful
movie “The Princess Bride” -  "Life _is_ pain, Highness. Anyone who says
differently is selling something."  But, would it not be nice if life were
fair then it would not be so painful however I do not think we would learn
as much.  I think that everything happens in life for a reason I could
probably list 20-30 “bad” things in my life that have happened that I can
put a positive spin on.  For instance, if my father had not been such an
“ass” when I graduated from high school and refused to contribute to my
schooling at all thereby causing me to wait until I had the funds to go to
school. I may not have done as well in college as I am doing now.  I could
go on but I think you see my point out of each bad or painful thing in our
life comes something good.  All the people who lose their jobs at the
company you work for will eventually find jobs.  For some this may be a time
to change professions and do something that is more rewarding.  As for
others this might be a time where they grow closer with their
friends/family.

I think I have gone on long enough now and am going to stop.  Good luck and
know that any decision that you make right now is the right decision.

Later,
Debbie

3174685 ICQ number
The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile
nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to
one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to
trust him. -Ralph Waldo Emerson