Re: Sept. 11

hi.

>OncleBoo at aol_com writes:
>
>> Yeah, the 11th ought to be fun. {snippage}  I'll definitely be there.
I've been surprised at how many people are
>>  already indicating that they'll try and make it to that show, but there
>are
>>  still a lot of you we haven't heard anything out of yet (Chris, bink,
>Megan,
>>
>>  JG, etc.).  You lurking folks need to come out of hiding and be at the
>show
>>  too.

{then jan adds:}

>yeah, come on!  jg especially.  i am waiting to hear from you about this
one!
>jan

oh, dear,  this ~is~ nice of you ppl, thinking of me.   here i am,  lurking
in the darkened doorway for a while,  and my sleeve is being tugged on,
pulling me again into the sunlit front steps,  and the bright sunwashed
stone of the facade is making my eyes squint.  so,  quickly, before i duck
back into the shade again, i'll reply to this and some other ideas i've
seen.

as i was telling DM last night (hi DM,  hi jen) at Jeff Klaum's band's gig
at Brady's  (hi jeff),  i didn't know when my september vacation falls,  so
there's a one in four chance that i'd schedule a vacation on the right week
that OtR plays at Cincinnati.   Now that i'm home,  i have a note here that
reminds me of all my vacations this year  (BTW, i'm on one now!  wheeee!)
and my September one is on the week of the 20th.   rats from hell!

Now,  my company is pretty flexible  (in fact, Frank can touch his toes and
may in fact be able to put his palms flat on the ground!   --- little joke,
sorry!)  so i may be able to re-schedule this vacation for the proper week
to include the 11th  ~if~  nobody else  (who hasn't quit!---a little
not-quite-joke,  sorry)  doesn't have that week already staked out.
i'll call tomorrow morning and ask how the Vacay Calendar looks.  i'll
switch if i can to see you,  Jan (and others).

Now,  you're probably saying,  "c'mon jg!"  (if you use the contraction
c'mon in your spoken vernacular as i do)  "jeez,  you live in bloomin' Ohio
for chrissakes!  we're coming from all the way from Illinois and California
and  Philadelphia and Texas and  Winnipeg Canada.   how can you not be able
to come if you're just hours away?!"   to which i don't have a very
satisfactory answer that wouldn't involve either calling off work,  ahem,
"sick" (cough cough)  or driving into the wee hours to fall asleep on 71 at
high velocity,  which i think would kinda suck.    christ,  i fall asleep at
the Taco Bell drive thru if it gets much later than 10 o'clock,  much to the
surprise of that guy i bumped into in the white mustang.  (i apologized).
so,  i think maybe i'd have to sit this one out.  Cincy, you see, is at  the
bottom of the state there,  and i'm  fairly close to the top....
So,  although at this moment we seem to be vacationing on a different week,
if it changes to THE week, then i'll be there (as has been said here before)
with bells on.  (and  maybe some brownies if dearly beloved cooperates
nicely.   (this might entice Megan ))
then there's the sitter thing for an overnight  + an  afternoon, but that's
another problem and not at all yours.

thanks again for thinking of me.

DM looked nice last night,  i think he changed his facial hair configuration
slightly, and he kept me from being lonely at my table  (db took a pass last
night),  and miss jen showed up to add that glow a wee bit later,  and then
Sheila  (??)  and Eric came by as well so i wasn't a bit lonely as the
evening wore on.   Jeff's band has a new drummer and they sound good and
jeff has been lurking even more than i have,  but i can assure all you jeff
klaum fans that he's alive and well and still very tall and handsome.

other replies to previous post ideas:

chris replied to bruce that he always preferred the Go-Go's to Bananarama,
and i think that i did as well,  but both of those chick bands CD's have
spun in here kinda- sorta recently,  and not just because i always start a
vacation by blasting __vacation__ first thing Monday morning.   after that,
i left it playing.   tomorrow i may do the same thing.   But i liked B-rama
also.

then, in a similar blast from the past vein,  Marc Brooks said he was
listening to:
NP: Tom Tom Club _Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom_

wow!  that goes back a few years,  and coupled with that idea was the
"escape from New York"  tour,  with the Ramones,  Jerry Harrison,  Tom Tom
Club,  and Deborah Harry.  man was that ever fun!  very likely our best
concert EVER!    thanks for the trip down memory lane, marc!

and then bink (bink,  you've been lurking too,  haven't you!?)  responded to
something that i don't need to reply to,  but let me take this opportuntity
to nudge bink into saying something concerning a little mutual band gigging
thing that may be going on.   (maybe the details need to be worked out
before he can say for sure, but...)  nudge, nudge!

Anne E. DeChant had  a recent live concert appearance on the Cleveland local
morning news and entertainment,  get-your-ass-up -in- the- morning -
with-vapid-and -always-smiling-conversation-and -newsy-stories-shows,  and
it appears that guitarist/songwriter Victoria is back again after a little
disappearance,  so i'm hoping that remains intact for a long time,
especially when the new album is supposed to be getting finished.

oh, and chris emery!,  just a happy note to let you know that cable modems
should be plugged in this house in a week.   yippee!   i'm pretty excited
about this.

also,  to those of you who play around with this MP-3  thing.... do you have
to have one of those MP-3  walkman-type players that i see advertised in
Circuit City/Best Buy etc for at least a hundred bucks,  or can you do it
via some computer downloady -type thing for less or (even!)  free?   (even
if you can't walk around with it.   unless you had a really,  really long
extension cord).

I used to have a globe  (actually, i had two.  one with black oceans!)
until the cat knocked them both off the top of the bookcase and caused a
devasting seismic destructive event to happen to both worlds.   and i hate
to surf for things that i'm not ~that~ interested in,  but i need to know
where Bulgaria is,  especially in relation to Romania.    Amy?   anyway,
i'm asking because i saw a news article that said that Bulgarian Colleges
were cancelling the enrollment of students who were missing fingers.   they
claim it would be wasteful of resources to train and educate these ppl who
wouldn't be able to secure jobs in the free market anyway.   (yes, i'm
paraphrasing, but that ~is~ the gist of the article!)    So, Amy, although i
suspect you probably are in possession of all ten of your digits,  i'd say
stay the hell away from a country as back-assward as Bulgaria.

(as is typical of these here posts,  this had very little to do with Over
the Rhine.    but there,  if i type in "Over the Rhine"  somebody will do a
Alta Vista search and find this letter.  ha ha.  he says as he anticipates
at least one "take me off this list, this isn't what i expected!" letter.)

i didn't apply enough sunblock for this much exposure,  so i'm going back
into the shadowy doorway now.

bye, kids.

jg
NP:  Nick Lowe  __basher__

p.s.    i'm glad jan bought an air conditioner!

p.p.s.  jan  are you going to Tom Waits in your new town!?    aaaaugh!  i
wanna go!  (but can't)