News from the Orchard

7/26/99

Hello,

Karin and I just got to spend a day at home, a blazing hot Sunday in Ohio. (A
friend of mine, Eric King, recently described this weather as "hotter than a
Deuteronomy based sermon at a summer holiness camp meeting revival."

As most of you know, Karin and I have been touring as members of Cowboy
Junkies for their Summer Waltz tour. I hope a few of you have had the chance
to join us. We have enjoyed ourselves immensely. There are a few dates
remaining:

Monday, July 26, The Vogue Theatre, Indianapolis, IN (317.254.2028)

Tuesday, July 27, Ravinia Pavilion, Highland Park, IL (Near Chicago:
847.266.5000)
Leo Kottke opens.

Wednesday, July 28, Meadowbrook, Rochester Hills, MI (Near Detroit:
248.340.7406)

Thursday, July 29, Fraze Pavilion, Kettering, Ohio (Near Dayton: 937.296.3300)
Joe Ely opens.

Saturday, July 31, Wolf Trap, Vienna, Virginia (Near DC: 703.255.1902)

There are worse ways to spend an evening than hearing Margo and Karin sing
together.

Speaking of dates, Over the Rhine will be performing at Moonlight Gardens,
Coney Island, Saturday, September 11. This beautiful outdoor venue is just a
few miles east of Cincinnati on the Ohio River. We're also headlining the
Blue Jordan festival the following Saturday here in Cincinnati. Then
September 24th, we're playing Gordon College, just North of Boston and
there's a show coming up Sunday, August 22 at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale,
Michigan. You can mark your calendars, but more lateron these and other Fall
dates. And yes, the December tour will be happening this year. The Emery
maybe closed for renovations, but the tour will culminate here in Cincinnati,
December  18.

Wonder of wonders, I've stolen moments on tour with the Junkies to write
Northern Spy Number Four. We'll be getting the final package in the mail to
the Rhinelanders early this Fall. It will contain the whole handwritten story
of the world.

In other dreamy news, Eric King, I'm told, has introduced hisself to ya'll.
He is in the process of building (we have the technology) the virtual orchard
- Over the Rhine's first ever locally operated website. If you experienced
Don's old site, or Jeff's current site, these long distance love offerings
were put together from afar by generous boys who had a hell of a time getting
me to pick up the phone. Was it my Luddite tendencies or my lack of desire to
interfere with their visions or the fact that I was in love-I can't remember.
With little to go on, they did the band an invaluable service by giving us
presence on the net. But now we're setting aside our guitars and notebooks
for a time and drawing up sketches for this new definitive resource, a
somewhat infinitely - layered universe of discovery, a sketchbook playground,
a wonder in the woods for those who love words and music.

Think of it as an Over the Rhine CD booklet as big as your house.

We'll be having a grand-opening this Fall and this is where We could use some
input. Part of the initial festivities will include offering an Over the
Rhine MP-3 sampler free to the world a limited time, which will include at
least one song from each of Over the Rhine's seven full-length CD's. If you
had to pick ten songs that convey the heart of what Over the Rhine is about,
which ten would you include? (At least one each from Till We Have Faces,
Patience, Eve, Good Dog Bad Dog, The Darkest Night of the Year, Besides and
Amateur Shortwave Radio.) You can post your compilations on the discussion
list, or E-mail them directly to Stacie at OTRhine at aol_com. We're curious to
see how your list compares to ours.

Along with these Autumn adventures, we'll be finishing our new studio
recording this Fall. We got a good start in May and June and I for one am
anxious to hear these new songs all dressed up and down. More on this in The
Northern Spy…

Well, it's about time to grab my suitcases. There's so much more to life than
words…

Linford for Over the Rhine