Kill this thread now

Mouvy sez:

>Has anyone stopped and wondered if there's a connection
>between SouthPark and the Columbine Massacre?

Everyone has. You're changing the subject.

>Isn't it interesting that they both happen(ed) in Colorado?

Going too far here.

>What if Columbine was a sign of
>what's to come?  Oh, and heaven forbid, but what if Columbine was a
>warning?  Yes people, God is still up there, and he's still giving out
warnings.

Are we talking about Columbine here?  It irks me how easily we've let all
of these deaths become a big, glittery devil symbol for all that is wrong
in the country.  Yes, it was horrible.  But Marilyn Manson and South Park
did not cause it, at least not alone.  We should NOT be talking about a
couple of mediated stars turning these kids homicidal.  We should be
talking about a culture and in it a technological situation and an
education system and a parenting problem and a class problem.  Art
reflects culture and sometimes encourages it in unfortunate directions;
but art doesn't happen in a vacuum--it comes from the culture as much as
it effects the culture.  Eliminating South Park will not eliminate any of
our deep problems, which have been with us from the beginning; John Locke
(for the liberals) and the Puritans (for the conservatives) are just as
responsible for all of this as Kenny and Cartman (and much much more
responsible, actually).  It is their systems we have extrapolated and
extended and modified and rebelled against to become what we are . . .

Please don't use Columbine as the main support of persuasive arguments.
It's too complex.  It's a symptom, not an issue; it's a tragedy, not a
politcal pawn.  Please don't pick up this thread.

Fred