Re: not really otr, more adressed to those who have religiouspersuasions...

Hmm.  Suicide.  JNF really summed up the thing that got suicide tagged as
the unfogivable sin.  It does seem to mark a person as having given up on
God.   Having taken matters entirely into their own hands.  That whole "I
surrender all" thing includes surrendering the choice of when we will
die.  But is it the unforgivable sin?

I've always considered apostasy the unforgivable sin; I think that's
what's implied in that passage.  (Apostasy being deliberately, forcefully
turning your back on God after having been a believer at some time.)  But
then I wonder if apostasy is really possible.  There are many who come to
church for a while and then stop coming, but I don't think they're
apostate; I think they were never believers.  Can someone who truly
understood, felt, believed, accepted turn away?  I hope not.  I really
really doubt it.

A believer committing suicide seems, in very clinical, antiseptic terms,
to constitute a believer abandoning faith.  But I think we know enough
about suicide these days (God help us) to say differently.  Because
suicide can happen in a moment of desperation and frustration.  Just like
a lot of sins can happen in moments of desperation and frustration.  We
should turn to God, but we don't.  That's out human nature.  Dying as a
suicide probably means that you die with a sin unconfessed; but who
doesn't?  I don't think our salvation can be lost.  Not likely.

But  I guess it's the heart condition that matters most.  I mean, I
wouldn't want to be the guy who committed suicide thinking, "No, damn
you, God, I don't want you or need you anymore.  I turn from you."  What
happens to that person?  I can't answer that question.  I don't think
anyone can.  Or should.

Man.  A depressing subject.

Oh.  I think you mean Jorge Luis Borges, don't you?  A good man for
questions and emotions.  But not for answers . . .

Be good,

Fred

np: Viggies: Audible Sigh