Semantically speaking....

In a message dated 7/6/99 11:57:30 AM, davec at pads_com wrote:

> I just see to many instances on
>this list (and elsewhere) where people use "your" instead of "you're,"
>"it's" instead of "its," and my all-time fav, using apostrophe "s" to
>indicate a plural. This is stuff we all learned in first grade!

I love you! I love you! I love you! I am rolling all over the floor,
dog-snortin'-happy, in love with you!

I've meant for years to make up a generic post on the nature of possessives,
apostrophes, and contractions, but a combination of disgust and an
unwillingness to take the Headmistress Role have conspired to keep me silent.
My split BA in Music and Literature weeps on the shelf at every incidence of
"I have a lot of CD's" or "Your obviously to stupid to know what your talking
about" that I let slide by.

And you know what? I'll let the list in on a little secret: this is a mostly
involuntary thing, but when I see a post rife with glaring errors such as the
above, the writer automatically slips several notches in my estimation of
his/her intelligence. Besides which, it just isn't sexy.

Also:

In a message dated 7/6/99 11:55:52 AM, jnedsfox at moody_edu wrote:

> I wish I had Ysoie's voice for these kind of things.  It's so
>much nicer while still managing to be nasty... but it's taken.

And thanks for the plug, Joshua. I've been told I have a great phone voice
before, but never a good computer voice! Ah, and so few people get to call me
nasty these days. I think I like it! I'd let you borrow the voice, but I
think that might get a little confusing to your friends and family. Smooch!