Re: Ark

Ah, the ark show.  I was there.  Met no listies, but i was there.

Bruce already gave you the list, so i needn't type out that.  I'll just see
what i come up with here.

I went to the ark show last june.  At that point i had acquired only gdbd and
i hadn't yet joined the list, so i had no way of recognizing or at least
knowing the title of any other songs.  I'm not sure if i'm just a strange
person, but i find a concert so much more enjoyable if i know what's going
on.  This year, though, things were different.  I at least knew the title of
all the songs, sooner or later.

Also, my seat was a bit different.  Last year i sat some fifteen feet or so
from the stage.  This year, my knees were nearly bumping into the stage.  I
was sitting no more than three or four feet from jack at any given time.  (I
was only about four feet away from his amp.  My left ear wasn't fully
appreciative of that fact, but i got past that.)  Because of my close
proximity, i was able to watch jack work.  Really fascinating.  Especially
for someone who hasn't touched a musical instrument since sixth grade
orchestra.  (Well, okay, i've touched one.  But i only touched it.  Nothing
more.  Really!)

Before i went to the ark, i went with my brother to a bike store (where he
ended up buying a bike--uh oh, did i just give you extraneous information?).
While we were there, one employee took note of my shirt--the gdbd gorilla
shirt with the song list on the back--and asked me if i was going to the
concert.  A short conversation ensued.  I never got a name (nor did i give
one, but let's not dwell on such details), but he said he's on the list.  (Of
course, when i asked him whether or not he is, i didn't specify which list,
so...)  So, if you're reading this...i'm the one with the brother who bought
the used schwinn right before closing time.

Two friends went with me to the show.  Evidently they enjoyed the show; both
ended up buying music.  One bought asw, and the other bought gdbd and
linford's cd.  One made the comment that "they're a live band."

I would have to agree with bruce: "The show was AWESOME."  The band seemed to
be having more fun than they were last year--jack in particular seemed more
comfortable.

I was glad they played some pre-gdbd stuff.  If they played older stuff last
year, i was ignorant of it.  It was good to hear it and know what it is.

For etc., whatever and bothered, brian and dave left the stage and the otr
trio played on.  I wasn't expecting that, but it worked out well.  (For the
first part of the song, i couldn't remember the title of etc., whatever.  I
knew exactly where it is on the cd, but my mind was completely blank as to
what the title was.  That frustrated me up until just before karin sang the
title--then the light went on.)

Karin prefaced faithfully dangerous with a few comments on how they'd changed
it around.  One line was: "if it were a bug, we would have ripped its wings
off."  That evoked laughter from the crowd.  She was right--it was quite
different.  A pleasant change, really.  However, no one said a thing about
lucy--and for a while i had no idea it was actually lucy.  Quite a different
lucy.  I like it.

Jack's valentine seems to be a crowd pleaser; it also seems to be a song the
band has a great deal of fun doing.  After they finished it, linford stated:
"that song is a five minute experiment that just won't go away."

For rhapsodie, it was only linford and karin on stage.  For the go down easy
and encore 2, it was the full band.  (Minus terri, of course.)

And to top off the evening, there was a patience clock shirt left.  All in
all, quite a good evening.  I'm fairly disappointed that i wasn't able to
meet any listies, though.

-burrill