cold coffee mutterings.

more from the draft bin...

okay, Bruce.  you've got me wondering...
how many lyrics have you obtained to the fly-about
unrecorded material?...and would you wanna send it to
a little red-haired girl in Pennsylvania?...

most specifically, "tumbleweeds."  though I'd love to
see "moth" or "goodbye."

(batting eyelashes and offering a pathetic smile)

(letting out a sigh)
um.  I don't know what I'd tell you guys.  made a
couple of murmers and mutters the last couple days
that are fossilising in my draft file.

the gist would have been:
Over the Rhine = artists = their work.
     not ours.  they can do whatever the hell they
want to with their stuff, really...

I can't figure out any of it.  how much of the work
the artist creates is theirs, how much belongs to the
audience, the reader, the possesser of it?  is it
still theirs, even when they give it away?  in that
sence, are all of Klimt and Chagall and Van Gough
still very much theirs despite that they're dead and
their stuffs hanging stoically in museums?  is the art
the personification of the subject?  making the
subject to real owner?  argh...what's the point of my
wondering...?

but I do wonder.  I wonder with everything I write and
everything I paint and every time I glue several
scraps to a sheet of paper and dare call it my
collage.  I guess I wonder what is one's own
handywork, what makes it theirs.  mine.  mine.  mine.
 and what is just borrowed, inherited.  given.  I
could go for hours like I always do about these
run-of-the mill dumb subjects.

and I ask you again:
  what makes Over the Rhine?
is it words scrawled in the hand of Linford?  the
soulish voice of Karin?  the six folks on stage, in
lights?  the folks that it has been?  is it an
essence--Michael Wilson photographs, tobacco boxes,
sepia tones, and sunny orchards graced with apples?

and then I decide I'm repeating myself.  I've been
repeating myself.  and I wonder if it's time to
wander...

it's been a curious obsession.
enough talk.

lrg.