Re: good reads, modesty

binkmeisterrick at yahoo_com stated:
>> I heard an interview with her on NPR several weeks ago. I have to say,
>> from my humble male point of view, that modesty is often more alluring
>> to me than the typical "flesh-o-rama" style of dress. From a sexual
>> point of view, seeing lots of skin certainly can be arousing, but when
>> I see an attractive woman in a nicely fitted dress a la 1930s there is
>> something much more erotic and appealing to me.

j_marie_hall at hotmail_com replied:
> It's nice to discuss this with a man b/c often our viewpoints get sort of
> slanted and stay confined in our femininity.  Thanks for bringing all this
> to the table.  I often wonder what men really think about all this.

i totally agree with bink on this. modesty is a very attractive
and sexy dress for a woman to wear. the evident self-respect
itself is tremendously beautiful.

elegance is key. true elegance.
Audrey Hepburn was one of the sexiest women of our century,
and i've never seen photos of her baring all...

j_marie_hall at hotmail_com then went on...:
> I have been wondering about Flannery O'Connor.  I know that many of you
like
> his work  Although I knew of him, I somehow missed out on his work in my
> "excellent" American education.  As a grad student in Spanish, I doubt it
> will show up in my reading lists....so?  What's all the hype, and what
would
> be the first book to read of his?

my most beloved friend recently read to me aloud the
story of Parker's Back from Miss O'Connor. after a few
attempts at getting through the story and not finishing
due to time constraints, we finally completed it together
over a couple cloves, some laughter, and much
compassion for Mr. O.E. Parker.

this story is beautiful and gritty. this being my first
encounter with Parker's Back, or O'Connor for that
matter, i can say that it shows that folks with the most
hardened of exteriors often have an easily more
accurate concept of grace and sacrifice than the pious.

i recommend finding a dearly beloved with the treasured
ability for graceful drawl to read this story aloud to you.

...besides, Nick Cave _himself_ lists O'Connor as an
influence on his own writing...

surely this fact alone makes her worth the reading.

if you're looking for similar authors, or for the influences of
Flannery O'Connor or Nick Cave, i'll share that i recently
started reading William Faulkner. right now i'm reading
'As I Lay Dying'. excellent reading, especially with a
strong cup of coffee and an empty stomach.
i'll leave the cloves to your own discretion.

enjoy your reading, Marie!

jay

NP: October Project - 02 - October Project - Ariel.mp3

"It seems that the fiction writer has a revolting attachment to the poor, for
even when he writes about the rich, he is more concerned with what they lack
than with what they "have.
-Flannery O'Connor
<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
	^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2