Re: @@@@@@@@ nope, no OTR content in this post either.

>>Slingblade sucks
>>BB Thornton sucks
>Wow - what an intriguing analysis!  I guess I never looked at it from that
angle
>before!  ;)
Definitely *not* the assesment I'd come up with, I thought the movie was
outstanding.

>>Just because you can act retarded doesn't make you an "act-or."
>>And he isn't even believable as retarded--except he *looks* retarded.
>Hm.  I thought he did very, very well.  "Sling Blade" is one of my faves, and
it's
>partially thanks to BB's realistic portrayal (not to mention the *fantastic*
>direction).  Also, I've really enjoyed his performances in "Primary Colors" and
>(yes, yes, I know...) "Armageddon".
See, I don't think the character, 'Carl Childers' (from SB) was neccessarily
retarded, at all.
He may have been a little slow (dyslexia, attention deficit syndrome, etc.) and
possibly
an unwanted child in the first place.  If you watch his character through the
movie, his
mistakes and false assumptions are exactly what anyone would experience it
they'd
spent their entire childhood sleeping in a hole in a tool shed floor.  Once he
was released
and began living in the 'real world', he quickly adapted and began to catch up
with
the education and experiences he'd missed out on.  It was unfortunate that
before he
could fully develop and integrate back into society, the storyline leading up to
the murder
occurred and he could still only deal with it in reference to his own similar
experiences.

later,
AaronB