Star Wars... It's not the hype

There are a couple of people at work that hear talk about this movie and thier
eyes roll. Me, I don't get it. I can't see how someone of the gen x crowd, would
*not* want to see this movie. I understand people are different and have
different tastes and I respect that. I however feel that this movie should be a
pretty big event for those of us who have had their tiny hands tighlty gripped
around those tiny plastic action figures.

I can understand how those people younger than Gen X can't get  into the hype of
this movie because they were born after the original craze swept through town.
They also didn't get to see what special effects looked like prior to the birth
of industrial light and magic.

I for one have never seen one thing from LucasFilms that wasn't phenominal,
celluloid or software. It's not the Hype that has a good majority of us grabbing
at the information tidbits that the promotion machine spits out, it's the
reputation of quality, almost a promise to wow you. For those of us that had the
Star Wars figures, it was the endless hours of play re-enacting scenes in the
movie or creating their own scenes (in my menagerie Boba Fett was a good guy
cause he had the coolest suit, Princess leia was an intergalactic prostitute who
was being pimped out by hammerhead and when Luke bit off more than he can chew,
12" G.I. Joe with kung fu grip would come in and kick some emperial butt). It
isn't the hype for Phantom Menace, I'm still living off the Hype of the original.

Now I know what you are going ask so let me answer a few of those questions.
Yes I am a geek,
No, I actually do get out quite a bit,
No, my therapist says that I'm not obsessed (Well, no since I took down my shrine
to George Lucas)
No, I do not have a web page devoted to Star Wars or any LucasArts Product.
No, my browsers starting page is not www.starwars.com.
and yes I have tickets for Wednesday night 7:00. I'll probably even take a road
trip with people from work, sometime later up to Columbus to see it in THX.
Cantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwait

JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/12/99 9:10:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> dantemm at erinet_com writes:
>
> > Got my tickets.  I went over to the theatre after work... Only had to wait
> >  an hour...
>
> am i the only person in the universe that has no desire to go see this movie?

Follow-Ups: References: