When Straight Bars go Gay. And Vice Versa

-----Original Message-----
From: mouvy de lust

>> gay bars in alabama must seem even weirder...but they're here!
>
>Well, I'll chime in here.  Gay bars in Tennessee--how 'bout that?
>
>We've had a mainstay called the "Carousel", but other than that all our
>gay bars have just "came out of the closet" so to speak.  They were
>regular (non-gay) bars that just slowly became "gay".  Is that normal in
>other cities, other states?  I just noticed in the paper the other day
>that "The Electric Ballroom" is now a "gay" bar...

I went to dinner with a gay pal to a pub called the Flying Saucer in the
River Market District here in hospitable Little Rock, AR, It's your typical
frat boy and yuppie fancy beer joint. Over 100 brands on tap and all kinds
of micro brews and imports in bottles. But DAMN if everyone in the joint
tonight wasn't gay! Neither of us had ever seen another gay person in there
before, so we figured we'd be the odd men out. But it was the straight
couple sitting up by the door that was looking around nervously. But it was
cool, because it lacked that tacky, "cruising" vibe of the real gay bars . I
didn't feel like I was going to get pounced on by some predator at any
moment. And the chicken and black bean nachos were delish. Though I did miss
the male strippers and drag queens.

By comparison, Discovery which is a couple of miles down the road in
Riverdale (everything's "River-Something" in this town) used to be the
coolest gay club in town. So cool, in fact that straight people started
sticking there heads in the door. And that continued to the point that
Discovery is now totally populated by breeders, but still has the tacky,
sleazy, cruising vibe, male strippers and drag queens.

Oh, and Kyle, I have gotten laid A LOT more since I came out.

BSC