Re: cranes and trains of thought...

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, l. godlove wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "l. godlove" <indigoebony at yahoo_com>
> To: Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com
> Subject: cranes and trains of thought...
>
> hey my dears:

Hi to you too ... oh, noone knows me here, but this is a good opportunity
for a norwegian person to join the posting than any :)

A short presentation first maybe? I'm a 27 year old male student (not for
very long now - just till end of this month ... errrr ... May that is :)
from Norway (but that you already know :) I did first hear OtR in '96 when
I found Eve in a used record store in Chicago (very much thanks to Charlie
on Ecto who pointed that out for me) Definitely my best buy that year!!
And now recently I found out about this list (I'm a bit slow I guess,
cause this far the list seems like a lovely place to be).

> curious if anybody out there has heard of a little
> band known as Cranes?  Peter loaned me a copy of '94
> release "loved" and the stuff my player is emitting
> proves most curious.

I love the Cranes ... They were one of my first Ecto purchases back in '93
and they've been with be ever since. I'm sure other people have answered
this mail, but I'll do it anyway when I'm at it. The main body of Cranes
consists of a brother and sister who also is writing all the songs (they
aren't married as some people would think when seeing they got the same
last name). They've released several albums (more info in the Ectoguide at
http://www.smoe.org/ectoguide), and 'Loved' is probably my favorite, but
the double-cd collection of backsides released last year is far up there
closely followed by Everywhere. They are up there with my alltime favorite
band and good friends of mine Velvet Belly. If you haven't heard this band
then you should give them a try if you can find their albums that is. They
are getting a UK release May 10, so if you are there then pick up their
Easy single - I think that is the first thing being released there. More
info on their homepage at http://www.velvetbelly.com - I'm sure you guys
will like them as I tend to compare them to OtR. Oh, I just had to get
that promotion in there.

> lead vocalist has a very, very whistful baby doll
> voice, slightly spacey...contrasted by agressive,
> experimental heavy music stuff...

She said in an interview that she used to be ashamed of her voice, but on
their latest studio album she didn't care anymore and used her voice as it
is. I really love her voice - it is different and fits the music so
amazingly well.

> and the lyrics are something else...
>    no, I really mean they are something else...

They have said on their page (dunno where it is right now) that they are
thinking about releasing a book with the lyrics because people have asked
what they are on so many songs. I hope it is happening soon - that would
be so cool.