Re: OTR-sixpence none the richer

At 09:24 PM 4/29/99 +0000, Mark van Hornsveld wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:21:57 -0400, "Joe Berquist"
><jaberqui at quakerchem_com> asked about Sixpence:
>
>>Does anybody have any background on this band?
>
>I say, Joe, try the "official Sixpence None the Richer website"
>
>http://www.sixpence-ntr.com/
>
>There's a link there to the websiate of the SNtR mailing list as well.

If mem serves, they hail from Austin or thereabouts.  They have gone
through several band lineup changes (OtR's got nothing on them, though the
band is _much_ younger than our favorite 4/3/6/3/2some).  Their original
cut, Spotlight, that they used to audition a lot didn't even have Leigh
singing on it - it was a fella named T. J.  Actually, I like that old
version a little better than when Leigh sings it.

I saw what I think was their first gig (they said so, though they may have
been exaggerating a bit) at C-Stone 93.  They were very good but achingly
young and not prepared for a fully live show.  They used DATs for most of
their stuff and had about five songs prepared, only two of which the whole
band played on.  The core of the group at the time (and I think now) was
Matt Slocum (who at the time was better known for a group called Love Coma)
and Leigh.  They're a sweet bunch of kids - we brought them once to the
Catacombs Coffee house in Madison in the middle of their Tickets for the
Prayer Wheel tour, and they were a little unsettled that no one but a
friend of mine and I danced to their music.  Leigh was about 16 at their 93
concert, which makes here in her early 20s - the others are a little older,
if I remember correctly. She's married to the lead singer from the old Xian
band Pray for Rain (PFR), and they are currently on the Squint label, which
is none other than the irreverent iconoclast Steve Taylor's producing label.

That enough for you?

-Bob the Dancing Monkey

[O] Drew Johnson - CLA - Office of Info Tech
[O] x5-4885 - http://lucix.cla.umn.edu/djohnson/
[O] djohnson at cla_umn.edu - ICQ: 10800645

Follow-Ups: References: