Re: News from the Orchard

Hey gang - some thoughts on this missive from Linford.

OTRhine at aol_com sez:
>I'm up here in the attic again in the morning. If you were sitting here, I
>would hit you with a barrage of possibilities and watch your face.

Hit me, hit me, HIT ME!

>God bless you what is this? We will be releasing two CD's at the Bogarts show
>this April 30 here in Cincinnati. The first is called "Amateur Shortwave
>Radio". A music journalist phoned a few weeks back and reminded me that this
>is the ten year anniversary of Over the Rhine. Sure enough, we recorded the
>first half of 'Til We Have Faces in the spring of 1989, so I couldn't argue.

Happy 10th, OTR.  Many more returns.

>Of course we felt we needed to throw a little party, open a good bottle of
>wine, do a little dance around the kitchen. This new record draws together
>under one roof a unique and curious sampling of what you would have heard
>(and did hear) if you walked into a room during an Over the Rhine performance
>back in the earliest days of the group through just a few weeks ago at Canal
>Street Tavern in Dayton. It documents some extremely rare and mildly
>embarrassing but undeniably exuberant early quartet renditions as well as
>good clean versions of songs such as Moth, Anyway and I Will Remember, which
>feature the six-piece version of the band (with Mike Georgin on bass…)

YES!   Mikey on CD!   Plus, I wonder if any of these older versions are ones I
already have on tape somewhere?   That would be fun.

>There's a track with the Northern Kentucky Symphony that we re-mixed and
>mastered which is gloriously schamaltzy and full of chirping crickets
>and a recent reworking by the original quartet of Over the Rhine's first ever cover
>tune.

This, of course, being what Bruce referred to the other day when he asked
about the possibility of a new song from the original 4 members.

[...]
>At least we haven't been sitting around doing whatever it is people do who
>sit around doing nothing.

What is that, anyway?  I'll have to ask Kyle.  ;-)

>Incidentally, the Bogarts show will consist of the sassy six-piece. Niki
>Buehrig, formerly of Plow On Boy will be opening. It's been over two years
>since Niki has stepped up to a microphone in public with her acoustic guitar
>here in Cincinnati. If you've heard her, then you already know she's one of
>the region's rare musical treasures. Hope you can join us and look for a few
>surprises.

Hey, those of you who missed her at Canal Street - she's worth catching live.

>That being said, I do
>absolutely want to reach the largest, widest audience I can (with spirit
>intact.)

It would be silly not to.

> Also, if I make a record and ANYBODY likes it, I'm grateful. If it so
>happens that  Florida beach girls love "All I Need Is Everything", that is
>fantastic.

No mention of fluorescent tits this time around.

>In the meanwhile, we're going to be putting out records that we like
>hand-over-fist. We're beginning our next full-length recording May 7. Karin
>and I are going to take a five-week break to tour as members of Cowboy
>Junkies for their summer tour this July, and then mix the record when we get
>back in August. I for one can't wait to hear it. And as for us, come on you
>Florida girls, come one, come all.

Sha, I think he's talking about you, you Florida girl you.

Does anyone have summer tour dates for the junkies?
--
NP: Various - _The Matrix_ (sndtrk)
ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery