News from the Orchard

Hello,

I'm up here in the attic again in the morning. If you were sitting here, I
would hit you with a barrage of possibilities and watch your face.

God bless you what is this? We will be releasing two CD's at the Bogarts show
this April 30 here in Cincinnati. The first is called "Amateur Shortwave
Radio". A music journalist phoned a few weeks back and reminded me that this
is the ten year anniversary of Over the Rhine. Sure enough, we recorded the
first half of 'Til We Have Faces in the spring of 1989, so I couldn't argue.
Of course we felt we needed to throw a little party, open a good bottle of
wine, do a little dance around the kitchen. This new record draws together
under one roof a unique and curious sampling of what you would have heard
(and did hear) if you walked into a room during an Over the Rhine performance
back in the earliest days of the group through just a few weeks ago at Canal
Street Tavern in Dayton. It documents some extremely rare and mildly
embarrassing but undeniably exuberant early quartet renditions as well as
good clean versions of songs such as Moth, Anyway and I Will Remember, which
feature the six-piece version of the band (with Mike Georgin on bass…)
There's a track with the Northern Kentucky Symphony that we re-mixed and
mastered which is gloriously schamaltzy and full of chirping crickets and a
recent reworking by the original quartet of Over the Rhine's first ever cover
tune. It's a record full of smiles and tears and you're probably on it too.
And it's a record that confirms for me that yeah, I would definitely do it
all over again.

The second CD we're releasing is called "I Don't Think There's No Need To
Bring Nothin'." It's the collection of eleven solo piano tunes I referred to
earlier, the simplest recordings I've ever made. Of course, in both CD's
there are notes which I wrote - as if life were study hall and you were the
shy girl three seats up on the left.

At least we haven't been sitting around doing whatever it is people do who
sit around doing nothing.

Incidentally, the Bogarts show will consist of the sassy six-piece. Niki
Buehrig, formerly of Plow On Boy will be opening. It's been over two years
since Niki has stepped up to a microphone in public with her acoustic guitar
here in Cincinnati. If you've heard her, then you already know she's one of
the region's rare musical treasures. Hope you can join us and look for a few
surprises.

This Friday, April 23, we'll be performing as a trio with Jack at Brady's
Café in Kent, Ohio. One of the friendliest rooms in the universe…We ain't
rehearsin', so look out. (Of course, Thursday, we'll be sneakin' around the
Hartville Flea Market.)

Finally, in response to the E-Mails we received regarding our future with the
(changing) music industry, let me say Thank You. I would say about 20% of you
said definitely go with the vegetable stand, it's great. About 20% said go
with the big offer, it's a no-brainer, this is a rare opportunity, don't
trifle with the American Dream. Most of you said listen carefully to your
heart. Take risks, venture into the unknown but only if you can keep your
spirit intact. Go for the biggest audience possible, but don't let anybody
make you something you're not. (And yes, it would sure be nice to have easier
access to your recordings.)

A coupla comments: the record industry is an overstuffed man in a three-piece
suit wobbling around on stilts right now. There's going to be a lot of change
in the next ten years. Our ability to anticipate some of those changes will
allow us to keep making records for a living or not. That being said, I do
absolutely want to reach the largest, widest audience I can (with spirit
intact.) The question is can I ultimately reach more people as an
independent, or with a major label? If a musician ever pretends that he or
she makes records and gets up on stage with the hope of being ignored, well,
it ain't so.

 Also, if I make a record and ANYBODY likes it, I'm grateful. If it so
happens that  Florida beach girls love "All I Need Is Everything", that is
fantastic. But it gets weird when the people at a big label start second
guessing how to get the Florida girls or anybody else on your side before you
record note one. If an artist ever thinks his or her work is too good for
someone who genuinely appreciates it, that's a bit sick.

So what's going on? Our manager is currently negotiating a deal with Capitol
for us. When they make us their best offer, we'll consider it. If it makes
more sense for us to keep putting out our own records, there are a number of
smaller companies such as Rykodisc that would be interested in distributing
those records nationally for us while allowing us to retain 110% control over
everything. And along with this distribution we could continue operating the
virtual vegetable stand and ultimately own all our recordings.

In the meanwhile, we're going to be putting out records that we like
hand-over-fist. We're beginning our next full-length recording May 7. Karin
and I are going to take a five-week break to tour as members of Cowboy
Junkies for their summer tour this July, and then mix the record when we get
back in August. I for one can't wait to hear it. And as for us, come on you
Florida girls, come one, come all.

Thanks for listening. Hope you can make the shindig.

Peace,
Linford