Re: repeated posts

> "Kyle Howe" <howe.38 at osu_edu> sez:
>>Chris, you can shove the etiquette up the ....:)  no one cares, you are not
>>empowered to enforce any etiquette here anyway.  so if jessyka doesn't want
>>repeat posts, then everyone should honor that request.
>
> Eh, blow me, Kyle.  I'm not enforcing anything here.  I'm just *reminding*
> people.  Just because the average person has only known about email in the
> last 5-7 years doesn't mean that these non-enforced rules haven't been 25
> years in the making.
>
> Think of it as a code of honor, Kyle.   Now go uphold it.

I think that rather than just spout out rules and tell them to blindly
follow a good explanation of why is in order.  Jessyka requested
non-duplicates for a very good reason.  A good reason should be given of why
this is not a valid option.  I will explain at least one reason why this
particular rule of net ettiquite exists.  From personal experience:

About three weeks ago I was involved in a conversation on this list.  One of
my friends who was also conversing with me took it private.  I didn't
realize that this was the case because I didn't notice the change in
headers.

Thus, when I simply adressed it to the list, where I thought it had come
from, my email system sent a private message into a public forum.  Very bad.
In this particular instanace it wasn't too bad, but that was just luck.

So, how to solve this problem?  It's obvious that hitting the reply button
doesn't work when trying to send to a list, and typing in the list adress
doesn't work because it might not have come from the list.

The complex solution is to always read the full header.  This isn't very
realistic for several mail browsers, as with some happy Microsoft browsers
the header is complicated to actually see (damn over "user friendliness").
The simple solution?  Hit "Reply to all."

The problem with this is that it sends a duplicate message to whomever is
listed in the header.  The advantage?  Fool proof adressing, that well never
send a message to anyone not already involved in the conversation.

The rule of ettiquette also comes about because email is quite often used as
a form of mass comunication, and people need to keep updated to each
addition to the conversation.

I'm sure there's more reasons, but those are the two I know.

Gardner.

--
Doris-  Do you have many friends Benjamin?
Ben-  My mom says I will in college.

- Safirstein (Waterworks)