Re: gas out

The following has editted for content.  Actually, I just didn't want to keep
adding in all the little <snip> deals.  It's kinda long, but there's a good
Dan Quayle quote at the end if you just wanna skip the bottom.

>This is my very own personal soapbox issue.  This is also the
>third time I've gotten this e-mail, and I know the people sending
>it mean well,  but it kills me that people are so short-sighted.

>Point one:  (North) Americans have absolutely nothing to whine
>about when it comes to gas prices,
>  To the best of my knowledge,
>right across the Lakes in Canada, they pay as much for a liter of
>gasoline as we pay for a gallon (about 4 liters) over here.
You got that right, eh.

> Yet,
>when a gallon of gas starts to cost more than a 2-liter of soda,
>we get upset.  How insane is that?!
Oh, I know!  The price of a 2-litre of soda absolutely plummeted.
I refuse to pay so little for my Sprite!

>Point two: If you don't buy gas for a day, it'll probably
>hurt your local gas station for a week or so, but they'll get over
>it because you'll eventually buy that gas from them one way or the
>other.
Well, either gas or Snickers bars a 3/$1.00.   (Hmmm, d'ya think
the Europeans spend 4 times as much for their Snickers bars?)

> We
>want it all, but we don't want to pay for it, and the waste had
>better not end up in our backyards, even though we were the ones who
>created it.
Hey, my sh*t don't stink.  I share a common backyard so I throw all
my waste out there and blame it on my neighbors.

>If you want to make a difference, change the way you think.

>I won't even get into what our demand for cheap gas has done and
>is doing and will continue to do to our environment.  Then I would
>have to tell you about how they're going to start drilling on the
>shores of the Great Lakes.
Eh, I've seen'em, they ain't so great.

 >...but we've got to have our fast cars and our cheap gas, and
>damn the planet if it gets in our way.
Hmmm, I'll think about that this weekend while I watch dozens of
leaded-fuel burning race cars belch smoke and oil into the air
for purely recreational purposes.

>I'm almost sorry for smacking you all with this on a Wednesday
>morning...almost.
Yes, this is more of a Tuesday or Thursday kinda thing.

>  Now, I'm going to go get some coffee and my
>flame-resistant armor.

>See you on the 'net,
>Raven-amy
Shouldn't that be Raving-Amy?

Sorry if some ot the stuff above sounded meaner than was intended,  I'm just a
      little

snippy today 'cause a special presentation of a film I tried to see last nite
      (The Visitors)

had been a week earlier, but the Community Center didn't bother to tell anyone
      and

I was forced to grab a McDonald's for dinner 'cause I thought I wouldn't have
      enough

time to fix something on my own.  Amy's got a good point, a  very good point, I
      just felt

like having fun with it.

FYI, a lot of people come down on auto racing (my great passion) for adding to
      the

pollution problem.  However, some series' are taking steps to change this.
      NASCAR

will switch to unleaded gas in 2-3 years, Formula One no longer allows sulphur
      in their

fuel and benzine will be eliminated next year.  ASA has required mufflers on all
      cars in

that series to combat noise pollution, and they'll be switching to a mandatory
      stock

production engine that will utilize emission controls for the first time in
      competition.

Hopefully, some of these steps being taken in my little corner of the world will
      lead to

advancements in public transportation that'll reduce the worry we have now for
      the

future.

later,

AaronB

np:  Owsley - Owsley

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.  It's the impurities in

      our air and water that are doing it."  -  Dan Quayle