Re: Re: Linford's question again.

In a message dated 4/8/99 2:25:07 AM, alchemy at crl_com wrote:

>Ysobelle at aol_com said:

>> Basically, does Over the Rhine write idiot music?
>>

>To answer the questions with more questions: If you hear it on the
>radio, does that make it idiot music?  If a lot of people buy it,
>does that necessarily make it idiot music?
>Peter Gabriel, the Cure, and 10000 Maniacs

>snip!<

The common theme is that
>these artists make thought-provoking, passionate music that matters
>to them, regardless of what the charts and sales figures say.

Okay-- I've had a couple of people call me on this now. Just to clarify: I
used Sixpence because I DO think they write good music (what little I've
heard), and I knew other people here thought the same. I happen to like some
of the stuff I hear on the idiot station (that's sort of why I had it on,
no?), including-- yes, some Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. I was even singing--
gasp!-- Spice Girls in the shop yesterdayt, which caused an undergrad or two
to let out a horrified shriek. I love pop music. I think it's yummy. Though
I'll admit when that, "I see that you like my butt" song came on, I switched
stations in disgust.

But my point was yeah, I may really like that Britny Spears song, but am I
going to drive to Dayton to see her next year? Will I get bink to wear a kilt
to her show next year? (Hmmmm....) Will she still be recording next year?

I think OtR writes songs that might fit into any genre ("Are OtR Goth?"), and
we might hear them anywhere. That won't change the fact that they write good
music that lasts, like 10K, Cure, and Peter. Some songs just stick out on the
radio-- at least for some listeners.

(NOW I'm incoherent cos I just woke up. I CANNOT win.)

>I have two other comments: first, have enough confidence in your
>own taste to like what you like

Hey! I just admitted on the list that I like that Britny Spears song! (G-d,
what was I thinking?)

I know what you mean, though. Yeah, I think all of us can admit what we like.
We surely do it enough here.

>After all those rousing words, I feel like I should throw in a "Fight
>the Power!" or two.  Anyway, OtR will always be cool, whether Casey
>Kasem plays them on American Top 40 or not.

Fight for your right to party!

>So really, this was not specifically a response to Ysobelle, but
>just general comments on some ideas that have been floating around
>the list for the past months.  The phrasing of the questions just
>crystalized my thoughts.

Er...glad I could help?

Ysoie

np-- my Siamese attempting to tell me the news of the day.