Re: King Crimson question

Hubert Jakobs <hubjak at online_ee> sez:
>Hi! This list seems to have several King Crimson fans. I used to listen to them a
>lot, especially in the 70s and 80s. My last purchases were the two box sets, Frame
>to Frame and The Great Deceiver. After that I lost my interest somehow. But I have
>recently been thinking about buying some of their later stuff, and there seems to
>be lots of recent reissues. Does anybody have any suggestions what should I start
>with? How are their newer albums, starting with Thrak, compared to the KC in the
>80s or in the 70s? What reissues are not to be missed? Need some advice!

*ding*

You rang?

This is off the top of my head, so forgive any misinformation that may occur.

Here's a rundown of the latest KC releases, starting with THRAK, and my rating
(out of 5 stars)

1994 THRAK ****
featuring: Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Trey Gunn,
Pat Mostellotto.
- This was the Crim's first full length release since _Three Of A Perfect
Pair_ in 1984.  As is common throughout the history of the band, they start a
new phase with a new band configuration.  This time, Fripp is experimenting
with a double trio format - 2 drummer/percussionists, 2 bass/stick players, 2
guitarists, and of course, Belew handling vocal duties.   They come up with
some interesting stuff, to say the least.   Gems like 'Dinosaur', 'Sex Sleep
Eat Drink Dream', and 'THRAK'.   It's about half instrumental and half vocal
songs.   The instrumentals like 'THRAK', 'B'Boom', and 'VROOOM' recall the
days of _Red_, so if you're a fan of _Red_, you'll most likely enjoy _THRAK_.

1995 B'Boom - Official Bootleg Live In Argentina ***** (must-have)
recorded DAT straight from FOH mixing console - same personnel as THRAK
-This 2 disc live show was taken from the South American THRAK tour.  This is
definitely a must have for any Crimson fan - the double trio is performing at
a peak, not only the new material, but Crim classics as well.   In fact, I'd
venture to say that this is the best recorded version EVER of 'Talking
Drum/Larks Tongues In Aspic II'.   Also performed: 'Indiscipline', 'Red',
'Frame By Frame', 'Sleepless', 'Heartbeat', and a couple live improvs.

1996 THRaKaTTaK ***1/2
live improvisations recorded through the THRAK tour in 1994
- This one is a bit hard for a lot of casual listeners to swallow.  It's
nothing more than a collection of the live improvs that the band performed
during a designated time during the song 'THRAK' on the tour of the same name.
If you like full improvisation, then take a chance on it, otherwise, pass.

1997 Epitaph ****
live recordings from the band's 1968 US tour supporting _In The Court Of The
Crimson King_
featuring Greg Lake, Robert Fripp, Ian McDonald, Peter Sinfield, & that Giles
guy.
- This archival release has 2 discs in the box, and an order form for the 3rd
& 4th discs.  Due to the age, the recordings are of varied quality, based on
how well the various tapes aged.  For the most part, the performances are
excellent, although there is a lot of song repetition across the shows.  After
all, they only had one album to draw from.  Interesting moments of note are:
the performance of Holst's 'Mars: Bringer Of War' at the Fillmore West, and a
wacky prog-rendition of Donovan's 'Get Thy Bearings'.  This is a nice addition
to your KC collection, especially if you like _In The Court Of The Crimson
King'.

1998 The Nightwatch ***
live recording from a show in Amsterdam, 1974 supporting _Larks' Tongues In
Aspic_.
featuring Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, John Wetton, David Cross
- This archival release covers exactly one complete show performed at the
Concertgebouw (sp?) in Amsterdam in 1974.  Fripp has stated that this is KC's
most-bootlegged show (it was radio-broadcast), so he might as well make an
official cleaned-up, annotated release.  Not a bad performance, but not as
inspired a one as you would expect from the crew that brought you the
brilliant _Larks' Tongues In Aspic_ album a mere year earlier.  The high
points include band improvs that later ended up as the basis for most of the
_Starless And Bible Black_ album.  'Fracture', 'The Night Watch' and
'Starless' are all recognizable here.

1998 Absent Lovers *****  (must-have)
live recording from Montreal, 1984 supporting _Three Of A Perfect Pair_.
featuring Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, Adrian Belew
-This is taken from the final night of the ToaPP tour in Montreal.  Sound
quality is excellent, and there is also a pro-shot video from the same tour.
This is an excellent compendium of the 80's KC.  Mostly great songs from
_Discipline_, _Beat_, and _Three Of A Perfect Pair_, it captures a talented
band performing at their peak.   'Waiting Man', 'Dig Me', 'Man With An Open
Heart', 'Sartori In Tangier', 'Indiscipline', and LTIA, parts II & III are all
high points.   This one is a must have for fans of the 80's KC.

The band's official web site is:
http://www.discipline.co.uk

Any Questions?
--