survey/dilemma/thanks!

Buy your back catalogue in the thrift stores.  Buy new releases on vinyl
and cd.  Listen to both.

Vinyl has a quality to it that can't be defined, replaced or recreated.
Not just a sound quality... a quality of existence.

IMHO,
jnf

I like that word existence.
Thanks for the imput J

vinyl, there's really no choice, you have to keep them; especially if you
kept all the "stuff" that used to come with them! (posters etc)
much of my vinyl can not be replaced.  music that has not been released on
cd, so when I'm in the mood, I break out those old albums of my youth.

joe

I would never have gotten rid of the ones that can't be had any other way.
The albums of my youth.............. Ahh thats one of the big things that hold
me back. Lot's of memories. waking up to the sound of the needle on the edge
of the album.
buhhhhhhhthump bhthump........... There are faces that you remember and things
you recall. memories that are clear as photographs.
thanks Joe!

Vinyl is precious,
precious as can be.

Compared to 8-tracks or cassettes,
it's a luxury.

can't say i listen
to mine as much any more

but oh, to think of parting with it -
nauseates me to the core.

Otherone, i know what you go thru.
it's big, floppy & fragile

remember it's also warmer sounding
HOLD ON TO YOUR VINYL.

Jay

Thanks for the poem  Jay and commiserating with me on this.

<< some may have value some may not >>
Value of a financial nature?  Sell them and pocket the money.  Let someone
cherish them; don't hoard them for money's sake.

I only keep the vinyl albums that are valuable to me in ways other than
financial.
I have a collection of 30 which doesn't pose a storage problem for me.  My
very nice phonograph and the vinyls are rarely used, but knowing I can play
them if I desire is a nice feeling.

It's really not about money,it's about space. I lie awake at night thinking
about this.
As for the collection, there are about 900 of them. They have been shoving me
into a corner like a red headed step child for some 25 years now. Money can't
buy that love.

Thanks jeanene!

Keep.  No question.  Jnf is right, there's an undefinable quality
in the sound.  Besides, the packaging is always sooooo much
more cool than anything you usually see in a jewel box (or digipak
or whatever).  I'll take a big ol' 12x12 fold-out lp over a cheesy little
5x5 (approx) cd booklet any day.
I bought my turntable about 5 years ago thinking I'd only get the 25
or so ablums I want that'll never see release in cd form.  My collection
includes not only the initial 25 lps, but another couple hundred I've
picked up along the way - including a great number of new releases.
I'm holding back, for example, buying Wilco's 'Summer Teeth' on
cd 'cause the fine folks at the Greenwood Karma have it coming
in on vinyl and will be holding a copy for me until I can make it in.

>It's tough to throw out
I could never fathom..........

>What say you?
To reiterate; KEEP!

Yes sir!
thanks!

I only keep the vinyl albums that are valuable to me in ways other than
financial.
I have a collection of 30 which doesn't pose a storage problem for me.  My
very nice phonograph and the vinyls are rarely used, but knowing I can play
them if I desire is a nice feeling.

jeanene

Thats a good reason, just knowing that they are there. Like the old
photographs you look at. and say who is this..........and then it hits you.the
rediscovery.

The nostalgic sound of the hushed *pop* *crackle* *pop*.

I just know that when I listen to Pink Floyd's _Meddle_ on vinyl, it stirs

something within me - more then just the recorded performance, i mean the

nostalgia & warm feelings i get. Almost as if I'd *been* there. Basically,

it's much more a romantic thing more than a technical thing for me. I love my

cd's & all - and i've worn vinyl *clothing* since the last time i've listened

to it on a turntable - BUT i have it & know where it is if I get lonely for

it.

*grin*

KEEP THE VINYL!!!!

Although I can't really say I've worn much vinyl clothing, I did yank out
Meddle after I read this and experienced the Zen of your comments. I havent
pulled that one out for a long time.  I think I had some flashbacks unless the
new sweeper makes the carpet do that........

thanks!

i have numerous records i will never be able to throw away. there's
something magical about this big disc of black. it's a ritual to
listen to it. to carefully lay the needle upon spinning groves. to
watch light spiral across it while it sings to you. to take the care
to flip over to SIDE B. besides, you have SUBTANTIAL cover art space.

keep it.

Yea, I can see my buddy Gilbert doing exactly that. He really cherrished those
damn things. Only 3 people ever laid a finger on them. About 6 years ago he
gave them to another friend of mine. He got indoctrinated in the heavy
Christian thing and did some exorcisims over them etc.  The evil that they
are. He had to rid himself  of that evil. Now my other buddy has twice as many
of them and he tells me the same thing as you. His comments are next. Straight
and to the point.

You must keep all vinyl!  I still have all of mine and I have no space.

Thanks for participating in my survey.
I needed that

NP: Toots and the Maytalls- Funky Kingston  (vinyl)  :-)