re: taping

     Taping thoughts from an ameteur bootlegger (me)

Usually, when you see a "no tapping" sign or note on your ticket,
it's the venue's decision.  Clubs/theatres usually get some kind
of cut from any 'official' live material recorded at the venue for
a live cd, video or other promotional form.  As long as you don't
wheel in a half-dozen mics, professional tape decks and your
own sound board, they don't mind since the vast majority of
bootleg recordings are for private use only and may only  get
circulated amongst a small group of friends, if at all.  It's my
understanding that Linford, being the perfectionist that he is, doesn't
appreciate bootlegs mostly because he doesn't have any control
over the quality of the recording.

Now I can't speak for other 'stealth recorders', but if I know an artist
honestly doesn't want thier shows recorded, I'll usually refrain.  I'll
probably try recording at least one show, but not every time like I
would with other favorites.  Besides, many times I'm not really after
the music as much as I am the between-song-banter.  I've got several
Psychodot and BNL tapes that are very similar shows exept for
what the band says between songs.  Being a long-suffering victim
of 'post-show-amneisia', it's the best way for me to maintain the show
in my weak memory.

As far as my own distribution is concerned, it's practically non-existent.
I record for my own enjoyment, certainly not to make any money.
When I do make copies for others, it's for close friends I can trust won't
make a jillion copies of the one I made or for people who might not
have the chance to hear a particular band due to geographic difficulties.
An example would be that I've sent one or two left-coasters a copy of a
'94 OTR show, the only one I've bothered to tape.  Since they so rarely
make it out there, I didn't feel as if I was taking away from thier audience
if they ever made it out there as they have recently with Cowboy Junkies.

I guess what it boils down to is that it'd be the right thing to honor the
artists'
wishes and not record, or at least refrain from recording as much as possible.
That's why I haven't tried recording other OTR shows, even the Emery shows
which would probably sound great on my DAT if I ever tried.  My advice would
be to keep the recorder down and out of sight regardless of the artists' wishes.
But if you get caught by the venue or a representative of the artist that
doesn't
want to be taped, be prepared to face the consequences. Also, don't get too
upset because somewhere down the line, like this post for instance, you were
warned that you may get into trouble.

Anyways, that's my view in a fairly large nutshell.  Sorry I missed the shows.
had intended on going, but things here aren't going well enough to allow me
to get away - work troubles, you know.  Also, please don't drown me in requests
for tapes or lists of what I have.  I barely have the time to make copies for
myself,
let alone anyone else.  I must politely refuse any requests for the time being
until I get more pressing matters in order.

later,
AaronB

np:  Sindicato - Sindicato