The Big chance?

Y'see- I understand what Linford is talking about a bit- I think.

Being a band on a big label in 1999 is a pretty scary place to be. With
this Seagram's merger, record labels are becoming these bohemoth money
changing machines that spit out crap like Matchbox 20 and Brittney
Spears. And now there are only a few big players on the field.
I haven't seen this discussed on the list, but I read in the
Philadelphia Inquirer a few weeks ago that Cowboy Junkies were dropped
from the label soon after Miles from Home was released. This because the
accountants said, you don't move enough units for us to bother with you,
so off you go.
So perhaps some of the lessons Mr Detweiler et al learned over the past
year is that it ain't what it's cracked up to be.
But they've been there before, haven't they?
The other aspect of this is that in the age of the internet, self
distribution is easier than ever to do on a global scale. I personally
know of several well known bands that have decided to market future
projects on the net exclusively.
But the labels offer one BIIIIIG carrot in front of you...
You know, I still don't know where I come out on all of this. But I
think I do understand why Linford would ask us.

Now I'm going to ponder this while I watch Monk play this evening. I
missed the Ric years, and I'd like to see the man for myself.

Greg

Well you ain't never seen no aura in your life
But you know hers is the color of the sky
When she looks at you she kills you,
When she turns away you die
It's a tragic situation
                        -The Gathering Field