Re: This Header is dumb (was Re: This is dumb)

Hey all,

I've been thinking about what I posted, and I did go back and read Linford's
letter, and I did go back and read the post that started all this.

I think I agree a lot with what you have to say in response. I think I would
have responded the same way, had I been someone posting day in, day out,
with my own particular vision of Over the Rhine held firmly to my heart.

I have posted once or twice before. No one ever really took any notice, and
that's alright. I think maybe my tolerance for lists like these waxes and
wanes, as I am sure it does for all of you. Maybe it was waning last night,
and so I felt the need to post. I suppose I should have waited for a better
time, a more positive time.

It was interesting, and actually a little refreshing to have a dissenter to
the happywarmfeelings being posted to the list. I would agree with all of
you who disliked the tone of the post that it was unnecessarily abrasive. I
think it was. It certainly didn't have the charm or grace that I would have
liked to read. Especially after reading Linford's letter to us. It didn't
match, it was out of sorts, it kind of made a mockery of the tone of the
list. I understand that, and see it a lot more clearly now today.

After all, I didn't oust myself. I proposed that it's OK  to be frustrated
by Linford's letter. I too would have liked to see something positive posted
from this person, but I didn't write that letter. The frustration was all
too clear, however, and was shot down by the logicians on the list.

Brian, you say Linford asked us honestly, and that we should respond thusly.
Did he also require grace and a smile? I really don't want to come off as
the girl who defended that 'nrbokovekrykov person', but I think he/she
responded honestly. I am also not here to defend the maliciousness. I leave
that to the person who posted it.

Alright, so I'm not a fan. I apparently don't have the gumption to wage a
full response. I still contend that while tongue-in-cheek, Linford's chicks
with volleyball nets and sand is not the greatest thing they could aspire to
if they sign a deal. I smiled when I read it. I still think the picture he
painted with that image spoke to the side of all us who want to OTR 'our
little secret.' Maybe flourescent ta-ta'd girls mosh, and wouldn't that be
horrible next time you're at Schuba's??

I apologise for lumping everyone who posts regularly to the list in one
group. I was being a smart-ass, which I am wont to do, and it was kind of
un-called for. There are a lot of reasons I abhor generalizations, and I
went ahead and wrote one. Bah me! And I apologise to you, Brian, for taking
your post and ranting off a bit. I think if I had let it sit I might not
have said anything at all.

You might think that would be good. I would feel regret, but then again,
maybe now is not the time to be so snappy.

I enjoy Over the Rhine's music a good deal. I am constantly playing it at
work to get people to listen and to pay attention. I go to shows when I can,
mostly just in Chicago, and I still have my cigar box and my playing cards
and my northern spies. I happen to think Linford's handwriting is really
neato, and someone should make a font out of it (OK, maybe I am a fan, after
all). I also lurk, mostly because my posts weren't getting sent due to a
stoopid Microsoft email glitch, and like I said, my delete key is my friend.
I don't have the time or the energy to pay enough attention. There's a loss
there, too, because I do get the sense of what great people you are, and how
much you all love the music. I appreciate that a lot.

Yet I lurk, and I appreciate the music in the best ways I know how, and I
keep on living my own life.  Linford's letter blew me away. I don't have any
sort of leanings as to what I want them to do, other than continue making
music.

Short story:
 I met Gillian Anderson over the summer, at this huge Expo thing in Atlanta
(my boyfriend was doing work for the Fox Interactive booth), which tells you
what our 'meeting' was like: 2 seconds, and long enough for me to have her
inscribe the autograph to my mom, who adores The X-Files. She looked
petrified almost the entire time, and was escorted to the bathroom by two
VERY hefty Georgia State Troopers, and apparently requested that she have a
wall behind her during the signing. It woke me up a little more to the
possibilities of how fame changes life, and I came to the conclusion after
the mayhem had died down that it really can be a private decision.

Now, I can't equate Gillian with Over the Rhine, but I feel the same loss of
words when Linford asks *us* what we think. Someone had posted (I deleted it
already, heh) a very nice short message saying, far better than I could
have, whatever you decide, you have our blessing. That may not be what
Linford was looking for.  But I feel the same way.

Linford, et al.: I'll still listen and support you in the way I know how.
You'll know if the time is right, I hope, and that you're right, with
exposure comes costs. Are they worth it? Gillian had to have armed escort on
her way to the bathroom, but when she requested a particular brand of
bottled water for lunch, they ran to get it for her.

That's all I really wanted to say right now. Hopefully this expresses better
what I meant to say.

Sincerely,
Krystyn