Re: That Letter.

gleaming, cemery wrote:

>>Go with the label.  I can't imagine that people who so obviously love their
craft and their music as much as OTR wouldn't want to share it with the most
people possible.  I don't even necessarily see it as a money issue
necessarily.  OTR could easily carve themselves a small yet comfortable niche
on their own.  I don't doubt that.   So I say take the path with greater
risks, and the potential for greater rewards.>  I'll support the band
regardless, and I like to think that other listies will
do the same.
Signing to a major label DOES NOT automatically mean the following:
- -the band is "selling out" (whatever THAT means)
- -the band is going to convert to the pop-flavor-of-the-month
- -the band cares more about money than music
- -artistic integrity is gone
- -the band doesn't care about the fans anymore

Signing to a major label DOES most likely mean the following:
- -wide distribution of future releases, and probably the back catalogue as
well.
- -national tours supporting major acts at first, then headlining eventually.
- -A NEW ALBUM, probably soon - one you can buy at Borders, Tower, or even
Wal-Mart.
- -radio (possibly video) promotion of the band
- -a modicum of financial security for the band - remember that this is what
they DO for a living, so they might as well be compensated for doing it so
well.<<

Well, as a relatively new inductee into the 'in-th-know' demographic of the
band, I must say I'm mostly plainly on the fence about giving any real
personal opinion one way or another... just because both sides seem so even
maybe. I would agree with saying (& in speculating if I were in such a
position) that signing to Major (in Capital Letters...:)
has the obvious allures as have been pretty well gone over. And, personally,
it would probably help me out in if the back catalogue (i'm in the 'don't have
"eve" club' & need everything before it too.) or a new shiny record were
sitting in the bins at Borders or whathaveyou... But also wouldn't care to be
black-souled enough to think that any compriomise in artistic control, vision,
could be accepted by a band w. OtR's, hmm, unique focus... I think it's
definatly true that taking one handful instead of two can prove more rewarding
and if the band isn't itching for the money or the exposure then continuing on
as theyve done and been happy doing would be a fair highway.
Personally I think I'd rather see OtR sign to a major, just if theyre free to
make the same magic, on their own terms, because it's good to see a band as
good as y'all making some strides, no matter how they are perceived. And, yes,
the work I've heard deserves a rich reward...

Thankyou Fer Listenin'
G.Westerbeke

n.p.- Manic Street Preachers- Everything Must Go