Re: (fwd) To all, from Linford

--- Brian Gardner <yavin at mindspring_com> wrote:

>     I am a writer myself, or at least I fashion
> myself one, and several
> people whom I trust the opinions of strive to
further
> my belief in such a
> thought.  I have rarely published, and I offer one
> excuse for this: that to
> pursue publication would take time away from when I
> should be writing.  My
> works can be published after I pass into the next
> visage, but I will not be
> able to write after such an occurrence.  Said more
> succinctly, someone else
> may publish me, but they can not write my stories.

i don't know if i'm overstepping my bounds to comment
on your statement brin, but i thought, writer to
writer, i might reply.

i'm a writer, and like you, i've not been terribly gung
ho about publishing. but it's becasue i don't feel i'
ready, and because i'm unsure of the industries (you
can read my post in response to linford's questions)
i'd be a part of.
but i do think that i ought to somehow get my work out
there to other people. if i was made to write, somebody
(arguably) was destined to read. there's an ear out
waiting for the magic you make brian, and while you
might not want to take the route of major publishing,
there are so many new ways to expose your work to
people : the net, self-publishing (my friend jon
williams is marketing his self-published book,
backtalk, on amazon.com) and so on.
the world needs your voice.

>     Too many people have not heard your voice.  I
can
> not rape them of that
> privilege.  I can not say that because I have
> long-lost-girl-friends, and
> best-friends-moved-far-afield, my urge to have that
> many more should be put
> in front of those who do not yet have these things.
> I think I may have
> changed my life again, or maybe you did.  I just
hope
> I'm not too apathetic
> to listen to myself.

perhpas i ought to explain ani difranco- she resisted
the courtship of big labels, started her own, and over
ten years, became a rather powerful voice in folk
music. she is not a household word, but i've not met
too many people who seriously care about music who
haven't heard of her. *and* she makes an unprecedented
four bucks per record- hooite, for example, makes only
two per record, which means that ani, who will contnue
making records for along while, will most likely
outsell hootie in cumulative records *and* she'll keep
control of her products as well. plus, i warrant that,
in fifty years, hootie will be a joke and ani will be
revered as a brilliant songwriter.

john.

np- r.e.m.- "new adventures in hi fi"