Re: 10000 Maniacs/King Crimson

> > > np: i'll give you one guess.
>
> > ...Nancy Griffith?
>
> XXXX!!!!! thank you for playing, we have a lovely parting gift for
> you. BB&W, silly! (as opposed to BBQ) i still think Nanci Griffith
> would have been a better choice simply because her style of music fits
> Woody Guthrie much more than Natalie ever could.

My wife and I saw Jeff Tweedy play a solo set shortly after Mermaid Avenue
came out.  He played a few tunes from it.  IIRC, he playfully berated the
audience for taking one of them so seriously, a little double-entendre
about a dame.

The Nanci Griffith response was a joke, based on the premise that it would
be humorous to pick the only wrong response out of the two possible
choices when given one guess.

I've never heard Nanci Griffith.  Is she political?  I wonder if perhaps
that's why they tapped Natalie Merchant to sing-- Woody Guthrie had that
legendary grafitti on his guitar, "This Machine Kills Fascists."

jnf