as she slept...

so, I live in apartment with my sister, in smalltown Grove City.  we share
the bedroom, the kitchen, the watercloset, the parlour, all closets...
so, naturally, Rachel hears much of Rhineland.

"do you like Over the Rhine, Rachel?"
  I inquire the baited question.
  she shrugs with a wry expression.
"that's the band you always play too loud, right?"
   I grin hugely.
   then I realise this is not approval.

despite her lackluster for the band, Rachel has accompanied me for the
Cincci Ren-fair extravaganza, as well as two rendevous involving Yz,
Binkers, and Jess.  I felt saddened at her isolation as we gushed and jested
over-the-rhine related discussions and I regretted deeply that she had no
deep love for our band.
   last weekend, I much wanted to hear "Besides."

"Don't you think it will wake her up?"
   Yz wondered, with a concerned look to my sister,
   who lay, curled in doze upon Yzzi's sofa.
   I shrugged.
   We played them anyways.
   my sister slept through it.

"it's subliminal, you see,"
   I insisted to Yz.  "she'll fall in love with them, saying they remind her
of a band that once haunted her dreams."

    Rachel did not wake up.  however, during the return to our pitiful town
of dwelling, Rachel got that wry smile.  it filled our silence till I
demanded in my fine subtlety:
"what?"
    she was quiet. bemused.  she stared at the road.
"I think I'm starting to like them."
    I shouted with glee.

    the subject was no further encroached, for I know when to no further
encroach a subject.  tonight, the wry smile returned.

"lynz.  who sings 'happy with myself?'"
     I am sure my smile was devilish.
"why?"
     her expression is the same as her response to mentos commercials.
pained.  befuddled.  wondering.

"I was singing it earlier."

er, um?  Victory?