six degrees of Velvets (was: Every 80's song...)

---john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> wrote:

> i think music, as such, cannot be irrelevant, because i think that
> music is created partly in dialogue with other music(s). the velvet
> underground- r.e.m. example is good. but you can expand it. who were
> the velvets' influences?

John Cale came from a highly classical background, although the avante
garde composers, especially John Cage and La Monte Young, really
turned him on musically.  Lou Reed and Sterling Morrison were very
much unfluenced by rhythm and blues and much of the music which came
out of the 50s. even stuff like the Everly Brothers, although Reed was
a rock n' roller since youth. Reed also studied under the late poet
Delmore Schwartz, who was a major lyrical influence.

> the beatles, for one (in a reverse sort of way, but there's still a
> kind of conversation going on- lennon says 'x' and lou reed responds
> with '-x.' but i'm oversimplifying here) and some r&b stuff.

> so let's look at it like this:

> r&b -> beatles -> velvet underground -> r.e.m.

eh? i have yet to read or see or hear ANYWHERE that the Velvets were
inspired by the Beatles. sorry, bud, i strongly disagree with you on
that one, unless you can show me where that info came from....
although i will agree i'm sure they both knew what the other was doing.

but as far as the "college intellectual" side of it goes, i actually
wrote a major term paper on how the Velvet Underground really paved
the way and inspired the TRUE alternative movement (and heck, even the
posers) as we know it today. and yes, i used a similar "trickle down"
theory.  it works. i got an "A" on the paper.

the Velvets rule.

prof. bink