RE: miles...

I hear ya Jeff... If there is anyone out there who hasn't heard some of
these tunes/artist it's well worth giving them a shot. Dave Brubek and John
Coltrane have a way of taking you places on a piano and sax(respectively)
that you've never been before.  Both these guys threw musical convention out
the window and just went at it.  Anyway, it's worth checking out... This
goes for Miles as well (and most of the other Blue Note artist from the
early days of Bop style jazz).