remember that band? what was their name? something about a river?

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and write about OtR.

my friend rich asked me this question about a year ago and i managed
to weasel my way out of it:

suppose OtR gets a record deal and gets really famous... is that good
or bad?

i know it's a horrible question, but we have, i think, benefited from
the "home studio" aspect of OtR- they can afford to be creative
without having to worry so much about the radio, or about fitting into
a market. (thank God they are smart enough to stay away from the only
manmade black hole in history- the Christian music industry)

what will radio do to them? (am i being selfish here?) nothing? (i
think of the innocence mission) or will they have to fit into molds
that don't suit them (i think here of the low-budget videos for
"jacksie" and "happy with myself?")

how many people are interested in the "success" of OtR (i read a lot
about people 'evangelizing' others to become OtR fans, and i do it
myself- i designed the ULTIMATE OtR mix tape last summer). how many
worry about the effects of a record deal?

is this perhaps why OtR is being so cautious about signing with anyone?

i don't really have an opinion one way or the other, i just wonder
what folks think...

i am glad i am not a cat.

john.

NP- "up up up up up" ani difranco. (it's yummy.)