Re:

john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> sez:

>---Chris Emery <cemery at columbus_rr.com> wrote:
>
>> 'Gates Of Delerium' is not about Vietnam.   It was loosely based on 'War And
>> Peace', according to Jon Anderson.   'Yours Is No Disgrace' is his Vietnam
>> protest song.   GoD is from the fine, fine, fine album _Relayer_ from 1974,
>> featuring Patrick Moraz on keyboards.
>>
>well, this is the time for me to reveal my most embarrassing secret:
>i, who hold a bachelor's degree in english literature, have never read
>"war and peace." (i've read "anna karenina," but not "war and peace.")

Neither of which are 'English' literature, per se.

>this would, of course, keep me from noticing "war and peac" allusions
>in the song...

Well, it's just barely there, to be honest.   I think it would be more fair to
say Anderson was *inspired* by 'War And Peace' than to say the song is based
on it.

>> I just finished 'Microserfs' by Douglas Coupland.   Not too shabby.
>
>i've also never read any douglas coupland... am i hopelessly
>illiterate, or what? i think i'll just give up now and watch a *lot*
>of t.v. anyone for some reruns of "wings?" or (God help me) the daily
>news?

TV?  What's that?

>seriously, how is coupland's stuff?

'Microserfs' is the only book of his that I've read.   I liked it.   Some of
his style is what I would call Vonnegut-derived, not so much in the prose
itself, but in the spaces in between.  Anyway, being a programmer, I was able
to identify with a lot of the characters.

>oh yeah, and, uh, Over the Rhine, is, like, the bestest band in the
>world.

Fanboy.
--
NP: Over The Rhine - _Eve_