otr: empathy has taken over my life...

dear, dear mr. emery, i can empathize so deeply...

<<Why do I have the urge to go home and listen to _The Soul Cages_ in the
dark?
That *can't* be healthy.>>

oh, but *sure* it is. have you never craved chocolate? or potato chips? or
chocolate covered potato chips?

"last night i dreamed i ate a chocolate cake, and when i woke up i was sure
it was true, so i weighed myself just to be sure and drank a diet coke."

have you never craved solitude?

"before you grab my hand to save me, why don't you ask me if i'm finished
yet?"

or comfort?

"down at the bottom...hello? is there anybody up here? it's cold, and i'm
so lonely."

or solitary comfort?

"sit beside the breakfast table, think about your troubles. pour yourself a
cup of tea, and think about the bubbles."

have you never wanted to just *feel*?

"maybe i'm not crazy, just inconsolable."

have you never wanted another being to confirm that you are not alone?

"there, at the garden verge, i will pull you up in hope again. no more
second thought will crowd you out of your desire. to be loved, not touched,
to be blameless and ecstatic again."

have you never decided that you've just done enough? that it's time to
rest?

"after seven days, He was quite tired, so God said: 'Let there be a day
just for picnics, with wine and bread.'"

yes, there are times you must pick yourself up. some of the best (or
worst?) advice i ever received was when i was in a place just like you
are...my fiance said, "if you get control of your environment, you'll feel
in control of your life." of course, i didn't marry him.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The
other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time."

"Which dog wins?"

"The one I feed the most."

btdt,
denice
____________________________________
hththththththththththththththththththththththth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Visit "Dwelling Under the Hazelnut Tree,"
             our updated web page, at
       http://home.neo.lrun.com/hazlett/
               NOW WITH PHOTOS!!
____________________________________
hththththththththththththththththththththththth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ICQ: 17028662

"Love is found in the things we've given up
More than in the things that we have kept."
	~Rich Mullins

----------
> [...]
>

> Over-The-Rhine Digest   Wednesday, February 10 1999   Volume 02 : Number
460

> In this issue:
>
> 	summary request
> 	another bazzare question...
> 	What's so funny...
> 	OTR CDs available
> 	Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
> 	Re: summary request
> 	Re: Hungry Like the Wolf
> 	Re: Entropy has taken over my life. [no OTR]
> 	Re: another bazzare question...
> 	Re: Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
> 	Re: Entropy has taken over my life. [no OTR]
> 	Re:
> 	Re: Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
> 	Re:
> 	Re:
> 	Re: Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
> 	Retractions and Humble Apologies
> 	Re: Retractions and Humble Apologies
> 	RE: Retractions and Humble Apologies
> 	Entropy.
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> Over-The-Rhine mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:40:28 +0200
> From: "Mark van Hornsveld"<Mark_van_Hornsveld at largotim_nl>
> Subject: summary request
>
> Hi there,
>
> because I have been abroad a lot the last month for my work and I am not
> able to read my mail when I'm not at the office, I haven't been able to
> follow the discussions on this list for over a month and a half.
> When I was at the office, all I could do was delete some 200 listie mails
> and archive the digests, but I haven't been able to read them yet.
>
> Can anyone summarize the OTR news since Christmas, if there is any?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:28:41 +0200
> From: Amy <aet at mail_dntcj.ro>
> Subject: another bazzare question...
>
> okay. now I know you all *love* me so here I am again... t his is all for
> good purpose I promise.
>
> some of you have already answered this question, if you have don't worry,
> have it.
>
> here we go. what is your favorite (one of your favorite) OtR lyrics (one
or
> two lines max) don't you love my restrictions?
>
> and to top it all, give me a couple words that when you hear them remind
> you of OtR. (NOT Karin and Linford, I know about all that! LOL)
>
> Sorry to pester you with my little questions but I want a well rounded
> view...
>
> Amy
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 7:42:51 CST
> From: "Joshua M. Neds-Fox" <jnedsfox at moody_edu>
> Subject: What's so funny...
>
> > >jg, I had no idea Nick Lowe was so "pop".  Quite a greatest hits CD
that
> > >boy has.  Why wasn't/isn't he more popular?  (Nick, not JG).
> > >
> > who can answer that one?  was it because he was eclipsed by Elvis?
maybe.
> > was it because he threw too much country in for the pop audience
> > maybe.   but, that's just one thing i don't know how to answer.
>
> I would venture that he just didn't care.  His vision is so singular, I
> think it just pushed him past trying to fit into the machine.  He's given
> it a number of shots, but it's always sort of with one eye closed and
> fingers crossed behind his back.  In England, he named his 1st album
"Jesus
> of Cool," which always seemed to me like half-a-swipe at the whole
> establishment.
>
> 2 cents worth,
> jnf
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:25:52 +0200
> From: Hubert Jakobs <hubjak at online_ee>
> Subject: OTR CDs available
>
> Hi! Nothing constructive this time, I just want to let you know, that I
have 2
> still sealed OTR CDs for sale:
>
> Patience (IRS, cut-out)
> 'Til We Have Faces (Scampering Songs, without the booklet)
>
> Both are USD 15, shipping included in the US. E-mail me privately when
> interested (hubjak at online_ee)
>
> Best regards
> Hubert
>
> - --
> Visit my on-line CD store Heaven's Music at:
> http://www.online.ee/~hubjak
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:06:46 GMT
> From: cemery at columbus_rr.com (Chris Emery)
> Subject: Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
>
> Entropy has taken over my life.   My room is shin-deep in dirty clothes,
> unread magazines, unpaid bills, and unanswered mail.   I have no
motivation to
> do anything about it, either.  I still haven't unpacked suitcases from my
> business trip last week.
>
> "Ana Ng and I are getting old,and we still haven't walked in the glow of
each
> other's majestic presence"
>
> I'm having one of my turns, one of my bad days.  All I can cope with
doing
> today is sitting outside on the steps and staring out into space.
>
> "I know we're dying, and there's no sign of a parachute"
>
> I hate it when I get like this.   I went to sleep at 9:30 last night.   I
> refused to let people merge on the highway this morning.
>
> "Why does there gotta be a sacrifice?"
>
> Why do I get like this when there's so much that's obviously going well
in my
> life?   I haven't written my grandmother in CA back in almost 5 years.
Is
> [...]

> Soon, oh soon the time,
> All we move to gain will reach and calm;
> Our heart is open,
> Our reason to be here.
>
> Long ago, set into rhyme.
> Soon, oh soon the light,
> Ours to shape for all time,
> Ours the right;
> The sun will lead us,
> Our reason to be here.
>
> Soon, oh soon the light,
> Ours to shape for all time,
> Ours the right;
> The sun will lead us,
> Our reason to be here.
> - --
> NP: Big Head Todd And The Monsters - _Beautiful World_
> ICQ: 1388556  ***    AIM: ChrisEmery
> FTP site now up & running.  ICQ for details.
> Floyd Code: v1.2a r+d>s TW 0/0/ FD 0- 0 Meddle 4 0 21.8% <28jan99>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:36:23 EST
> From: SheepyFuzz at aol_com
> Subject: Re:
>
> In a message dated 2/9/99 4:30:33 PM EST, cemery at columbus_rr.com writes:
>
> > john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> sez:
> >  >> then we can fling wide the gates
> >  >> let go the last of our hate
> >  >> then we can sigh like the cool clear wind
> >  >> up high
> >  >> through the sky above
> >  >> then we can say we're in love
> >  >
> >  >"the gates" could be the gates of heaven, or the gates of an old
> >  >manor, or the gates around the singer's heart, or the gates of a
> >  >paradise, like Eden or Dante's earthly paradise at the top of mount
> >  >Purgatory.
> >  >there is definitnetly a paradise theme here though- flinging wide the
> >  >gates, and being freed from hate, which (according to the song) frees
> >  >them to love.
>
> or bill gates.
>
> ~sha
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:21:46 EST
> From: Jaharnish2 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Entropy has taken over my life.  [no OTR]
>
> cemery at columbus_rr.com writes:
> > john davis <hellomynameisj at yahoo_com> sez:
> >  >mr. emery,
> >  >
> >  >all i can really say in response to your rather fun montage of song
> >  >lyrics and observations about life and society is this:
> >
> >  Glad someone thought it was fun.
> >
> >  >"you caint always git what you wa-ant."
>
> ...or like Bauhaus sez:
> "Lonely people burn like candles"
>
> >  Why do I have the urge to go home and listen to _The Soul Cages_ in
the
> dark?
> >
> >  That *can't* be healthy.
>
> *gosh*, chris! no, it certainly can't. it's been a very long time since
i've
> listened to that one.
> on the way home, why don't you stop by magnoliathundercandy-or-whatever &
pick
> up something a little more *uplifting*, like "The Sky's Gone Out" by
Bauhaus.
> The below *could* be re-titled "The Entropy (or Misanthropy) That Man
Becomes"