Re: @ REM ((Dar) & other Williams fans, too)

Dave Cousineau wrote:

> I just picked up a CD from Cry Cry Cry, which is Dar Williams, Lucy
> Kaplansky, and Richard Shindell. It's essentially 12 covers of some
> good-but-not-well-known folk artists' songs. I'm just finishing up my
> first listen, and I like it. Some tunes are little too "folky" for me,
> almost country, but still good.
>
> The reason I posted it here is that I know there are a few Dar Williams
> fans here. Also, the first song is REM's "Fall On Me" (the only well
> known cover). Plus, I think that Richard Shindell sounds a LOT like
> Michael Stipe. I actually checked the liner notes at one point to see if
> he was a guest-vocalist. So REM fans might even like this disc.
>
> And one more thing. IIRC, Ron Sexsmith's name came up on this list not
> too long ago. They cover his "Speaking with the Angel."
>
> dave

It does sound interesting.....I'm not actually familiar with Dar Williams
in any respect except from here.But I figured I would keep with the linking
of threads.

I just got the new Lucinda Williams album which is very, very, good
if you like that sort of thing.
She doesn't do any REM covers but it's still real good.
: )
It holds up well to the hype.

btw: I don't like the new REM yet.
I haven't really liked one since Automatic.
(I had to like Monster because of Thurston Moore's cameo and I don't have
New Adventures...)