Re: Sixpence & OTR

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:25:27 PST "Jillian Tully"
<waytogojane at hotmail_com> writes:
>Sixpence is WONDERFUL!!!! Heehee actually it was my being such a rabid
>fan of Sixpence that I came to know Over The Rhine...Yeah they sure do
>thank Karin and Linford in their liner notes...but I was a little
>miffed
>that of *course* it was spelled "Karen". Oh well! Anyone who hasn't
>bought that album, BUY IT!!! NOW! Because all of you who are afraid of
>the "God quotient" there are no sermons in this album! And for all of
>you looking for spiritually profound statements, you can find them
>here!
>And the music is beautiful!!! So, I urge you to buy this album! I'll
>even buy it FOR you! Well,OK maybe not...but if I had money I would.
>*grin*

Actually, I wasn't as impressed with their latest album.  Assuming they
haven't come out with one since the S/T.  The lyrics seemed too
self-conscious, and I had the feeling that they had run low on ideas and
just continued to write anyway.  (It seems like two or three songs on
there were about writing songs....)

I was enormously impressed, though, when I got _The Fatherless and the
Widow_ (I started with _This Beautiful Mess_) and saw the CS Lewis quote
that explained the band's name.

To date, my favorite by them is the album-length EP _Tickets for a Prayer
Wheel_.  But I haven't listened to any SNtR lately, so that may have
changed.

--ed
recently got a sixpence mixed in with pennies in change

___
"This is precisely the sort of thing that no one EVER believes!"
                                            --Baron Munchausen

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]