Re: Good Dream Bad Dream

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua M. Neds-Fox
>Has anyone ever seen OTR at Cornerstone?  What was it like?

I've seen them there everytime they played (new band showcase in 91,
afternoon showcases in 92 and 93, a three-hour marathon midnight show in 94.
The band didn't play in 95, but Linford and Karin were in attendence as
fans, friends and fellow followers. Then, 96 and 97, they played twice,
opening and closing nights in two different "venues" (i.e. "tents") before
adoring crowds of a couple thousand people each time. The 96 shows with Ric
and Chris Dahlgren, when Linford first moved over to piano and organ, were
moving beyond words. They had the intimacy of the GDBD material, as they do
now, but they still rocked out on the and played large selections from their
older material. The next year, of course, was the debut of the sextet, which
made everyone happy to see the band would go on. And Terri's vocals add *so*
much to their live presentation, thinking back on it. This past year, they
only played once, but that only made the crowd more adoring and adorable.
And we saw just how much the sextet 2.1 version of OtR has gelled.

I've only seen OtR once outside of CStone, and it was in a little church
basement in St. Louis on the "Double Cure" Tour with VoL. It was beautiful
and intimate, but not as moving as the CStone shows. I think the most apt
comparison is the Emery shows. CStone is where OtR draws a *huge* crowd from
all over the nation for a show that is a mutual love fest between performer
and fans. The Gallery tent (their main venue for the last three years) is
not as ellegant or beautiful as the Emery Theater. And there have been times
when we've had to stand ankle deep in mud to see the band play. But you
*know*, despite all the band's dodging and darting the "christian band"
status, that their performance at this christian rock fest is going to be a
religious experience.