"The Seahorse" for Ope and a rant or two

Ope,
    I don't post much to the list because I tend to be more of an
observer than participant as far as discussion lists go (I guess I've
been shy because people can really let you have it if they don't like
what you have to say!). I've noticed your repeated request to know the
meaning behind "The Seahorse" and I decided I'd test the waters with
what little I know about the song. I've been on the list for about two
and a half years now (I suppose GDBD hasn't been out quite that long)
and I've heard a variety of stories regarding the song.
    The most common story is that The Seahorse is a large house
somewhere in England which was built into a studio. This allows
musicians who work all hours of the day to have someplace to spend the
night. Anyway, at one OTR show Karin mentioned that The Seahorse was
where she and Linford met Jack Henderson. I don't know if they have been
there frequently or even what they recorded (it may have just been Karin
and Linford, not the full band). I know that doesn't give you much help
on the lyrical content of the song, but it's a context anyway.
    The much juicier interpretation makes me little nervous to post, but
most of the list has gotten away with worse! I'm not sure who originally
posted this, but the basic idea is that Linford and Karin made love for
the first time at The Seahorse. I won't bore you with a word for word
reading of the song, but if you think of it in those terms the lyrics
make quite a bit of sense. I could be completely wrong but I think it's
a pretty compelling and romantic perspective. I'll rely on the rest of
the list to clear up which points I've relayed to you incorrectly and
offer any different takes they might have.
    Anyway, about the list itself, I got really excited for a second
with the uproar over the cancellations and possible label signing that
were announced. It reminded me of the tension and excitement in
November/December of '96 when we all received the e-mail announcing
Ric's separation with OTR (I was convinced it was a complete breakup and
the music was over for good). My reason in pointing this out is that I
really enjoy the fervor and excitement on the list when people are
passionate about something. I realize we can't keep this up all year
round (not enough traumatic OTR news), but I'm willing to get a little
crazy if you guys are! I'm not asking everybody to see what it takes to
piss somebody else off. I'm just interested in people's interpretations
of songs, your hopes for the direction OTR might take, and some in depth
reviews of the shows people have seen recently (not that there will be
any this month).
    None the less, I really enjoy the list for the most part and I don't
even mind the rare bursts of talk about religion (I'm a recovering
Christian so I know how people on both sides of the fence can be a
little crazy)! Hopefully I can meet a few of you at some shows instead
of hiding off to the side with my girlfriend! Sorry about the long post.
I guess I'm making up for the fact that I haven't said anything in two
years.

Have a great Thanksgiving,
Steve Leverett
Iowa City