Monk November Twenty

hello all--

Took in my first Monk show.  I'm a latecomer to the whole OTR family, so
I'm afraid I never saw Ric live with the band (except on the serpents and
gloves video I got with GDBD).  I was impressed; pleased to hear a reworked
(and in a lot of ways more compelling) Circle of Quiet.  And who doesn't
like Jimi's Little Wing?  Plus a fun almost-hard-rocker called This Train
(I'm sure you Monk devotees are already good friends with this and other
songs).

Overheard Ric saying to a friend, conspiratorally and with a little mischief
in his voice, that he was "scheming" to play an Emery show in December.  I
imagined that he was referencing this current proposed show.  Looks like it
is on his mind...

As for the suggestion that Monk is like a cross between FSOL and Eno, well,
I'd have to disagree.  Not like that at all; the drumming is too funky.

Have fun folks,

jnf

NP:  Richard Davies - Telegraph