OtR = books

Two post in a day! Look out- he's outta control!!

Responding to Gracie's post:
I read a few of Annie Dillard's books after Linford raved about them in
the Northern Spy last year. I've read An American Childhood, which was
very interesting to me because Ms. Dillard grew up in Pittsburgh. More
to the point, she grew up in my favorite part of town, so I knew where
she was talking about. I also have the Annie Dillard Reader, which is a
great book to get to know her work with. One of the stories, called "An
Expedition to the Pole" has a passage in it that had a profound effect
on me and my faith:
"On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs,
sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea
what sort of power we blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does no one
believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor
with their chemistry set, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday
morning. It is madness to wear ladies' straw hats and velvet hats to
church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life
preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. For the
sleeping [G]od may wake someday and take offense, or the waking [G]od
may draw us out to where we can never return."

And there you have it.

That's four cents now. Whoo-boy.

Greg