ann arbor review

 possible subtitles:
i met a listie!
karin loves tom waits!
where the hell is wade?
anne e./OtR coincidences part 2
i got two eve's autographed!
i talked to Margo!
wow! nice theatre you guys got up there.

let's start on Saturday night,  while some of you were in Columbus drinking
liquid beef.   sorry i missed this one, but Jeff Klaum's wife Rebecca and
her friend Tara joined me,  (Chris Emery's Attractive Listie Theory holds
for wives and their friends equally well, and they were very pleasant
company, too.)  and my friends J and Marie for an Anne E. DeChant gig in
Kent.   Long time sympathetic readers will be happy to hear that Money Order
Chick finally showed for a show i invited her to, making me very happy.
Now,  you're saying, "well, jg, that's all well and good and i'm so happy
for you, but this is an over the rhine list and i think we should only
discuss Over the Rhine or I'm gonna be disappointed and leave"  and  can
understand that completely, but i'll tie it all in for you if you'll just be
patient  (Patience is an OtR album.  connections beginning to form already,
see?)

THE FOLLOWING NIGHT  i went to ann arbor MI to see OtR and the Junkies.   (i
did not hit my CAPS LOCK button inadvertantly   hint hint).    I had never
seen the Junkies before, despite that they are on my top 5 band lists, and
on my desert island discs list, etc.  so this was a real treat to see both
bands.  yay,me,  yay us.    Sick Dearly Beloved and I park one block behind
the glorious historic elegant Michigan Theatre,  and walk into a lobby where
they sell popcorn,  but it's real popcorn,   not that yellow Movie Theatre
Popcorn with the buter flavour salt on it,  and when they ask you if you
want butter on it, say yes, because it's REAL butter!!   Then you walk in
the theatre itself,  and there's giltwork on the walls,  the high ceilings,
everywhere.  an elegant Tara-style paired set of stairs lead to the balcony
seating.  Oh, I wonder what the Emery looks like?  If it doesn't look like
this,  then this must be the finest place OtR has ever played.  I'm feeling
very happy for them,  they've hit the big time!

We have seats dead-nuts center,  about 12 rows back.   I haven't yet met
him, but Listie Burrill is one row behind us,  on the right side.   (hi,
Burrill!)   We can see fine thank you.   Looking up and around, which is a
pleasure, finds another high ceiling inside the auditorium, gilted of
course,  a mighty chandelier hanging from the center.   we can just see the
balcony from our seats;  should it have come crashing down from its moorings
last night, it would have taken out the row behind us,  but it didn't,  so
Burrill is spared.  So were the people behind us who said "What is ~this~?"
with the same sneer in their voice  usually reserved for saying "what is
this?"  as you're lifting your shoe to inspect something smelly on its sole,
as we were filing out to the strains of my beloved Tom Waits,  but I'm
getting way ahead of myself....call that an annoying tangent if you will.
leave the list before another one occurs.....

Because of our penchant for being promt at best, and usually late,  very
quickly the lights dim,  and the stage is illuminated in a bath of purple
stagelighting.  A large sheet is loosely draped over the front of the CJ
set, and OtR will play in front of this sheet.   Not to worry, it's pretty.
nicely draped sheet!

Brian is dressed in black,  and his drum kit is extreme stage right, no
bulletproof glass this time,  and there is no need for it, because this
stage is expansive.  He's nowhere near Karin.   "Wade" is a bit behind him,
working in to the center of the stage.   I'm thinking,  "you know, i have
seen Wade twice, and i don't remember him with Blonde Hair, or the Drew
Carey glasses.  he must be sporting a new look....or maybe it's not Wade.(?)
And, no,  big news!  It's not Wade.  Wade is gone now.  May I introduce to
you Mr. Randy Cheek, from Cincy's Ass Pony's.   He's been playing on from
the end of September.   I'm getting ahead of myself chronologically here,
but Linford said that Wade was a "hired gun"  and he was paid through the
end of one leg of the tour which ended in September,  but he had commitments
which prohibited him from continuing,  so they stole a bassist from the Ass
Pony's  ("ponies"?  possibly)  and, in talking to Randy, found that he is
now "in the band"  not another "hired gun".     Anyway, he's got on a pair
of Khaki's and a dark sportcoat.   Plays Bass.   Jack/Gordon has that same
style of shirt we have all come to know and love,  opened chest,  gold
medallion shining,  but the big news here is that he's in possession of a
comb!   and someone must have taught him how to use it, too,  cause, to
steal from Warren Zevon,  "his hair was perfect".   Go figure that one,
Listies!   Karin wore platinum shimmery pants, kinda baggy, so they
shimmered more,  a dark (brown?  velour? )  jacket over a black spaghetti
strap top.   After song #1, she lost the jacket for good.    Terri had her
newly blonded hair down,  and looked elegant (Jessyka, didn't you say
"elegant"  too?)  and wore a black outfit that flared sharply at the hips,
and even though she had her own microphone stand,  and played no violin at
all,  she was wired into the Borg Mothership this night too.   This wire
running underneath her top caused her to fidget with it a lot.    Not too
distracting,  but noticable.   wonder what the wire's for?    Linford wore
black,  and was exactly like illustrated in Binky's absolutely wonderful
review  (loved that one Binky!  where can i get me a Terri Doll?) that you
read earlier.

I'll give you the set list that Bink spared you:Faithfully
Dangerous/Tumbleweeds/ Seahorse/ All I Need is Everything/
Poughkeepsie/Moth/ Latter Days/ Goodbye.

Ignored requests shouted from the audience include Jacksie and Bothered.
Well, no, they weren't ignored;  OtR  acknowledged them, they just didn't
acquiesce.   Nice try, people.  "A" for effort!   And it showed OtR that
they had some fans at the CJ show.

Karin's gorgeous red rick came out for Tumbleweeds.   Oh, what a guitar!  I
love that piece.  For most of her other guitar work this show she played her
acoustic.   Oh, i forgot to mention that Linford had his hair short again.
he was letting it grow when we saw him in Kent.

The show sounded great,   and Dearly Beloved said, "have you noticed that a
little phrasing from CJ's is sneaking into some of Karin's delivery?"  OtR
~did~ chat a little with the audience this night, and we learned that they
play in ann arbor about once a year.   then they announced that they just
arranged to play there again,  at the Ark,  on Karin's birthday,  which is
December13th.   O.K.  here's the coincidental part i hinted at
earlier....still with me?......Anne E. announced another gig at Brady's in
Kent on December 12th.   Another two-day double header, same bands,  same
cities,  same next -day logistics.    Oh, boy!  Woo~hoo!

The fans of CJ applauded well, our little band,  and activity at the merchie
table was good.  Jack's wife was manning the table that night, and oh, is
she adorable!  Bink, i want a doll of her too,  with removable black beret
accessories, and a little digital voice box with the British accent, o.k.?
Yummy!

I couldn't restrain myself, even in this prestigious venue,  and i shouted
out my trademark "I love you, Terri" line.  Well, how else would she know i
was there?   (Um,  maybe when we stalk them after the show...?  Well, o.k.
there's that.)   Audience members laughed.   Terri still hasn't said "I love
you, too, jg." onstage,  but i have that written and signed in one of my
CD's so i know she does ( yeah, right!).

O.k.  then came an intermission, and a chance to mingle and buy popcorn with
honest to pete butter on it.  Burrill remembered that i told him i'd be the
old man in the Monk shirt (thanks again,  Chris!)  so he spotted me in the
popcorn line and introduced himself.   He's a lovely young man,  and was a
pleasure to meet and converse with for quite a while.   We made tentative
plans to meet up again and see if we could find the band (monica prefers the
word "stalk")  but, alas, it wasn't quite to be.  we did meet,  again,  but
there was to be no Burrill-Band-Stalking.   I look forward to catching up
with him again in ann arbor at the ark gig.   Nice guy.  everybody say, Hi
Burrill!     I expected Vincent Ciccilini but i didn't see him,  and my
"Listies?" sign wasn't with me at this gig.   Sorry to have missed you,
Vincent.  Ark?

It's running a little long,  and bath-time beckons,  so i'm gonna skip the
CJ show review,  featuring (prominently) Karin, Linford, Terri, and
sometimes Jack,  for a later post.   I'll skip to the end of the show
now....

{skip}

the show ends, lights come up, and people file out to.......Tom Waits!!!!!!
wooo~fukkin~hoo!!!!  (you heard "I'll be Gone" from __Frank's Wild Years__
and that's when somebody said,  "what's ~this~?"  Ha!  i knew!

Margo did the meet-n'-greet thing,  and i brought with me _the Caution
Horses_ and _Miles From Home_ to possibly get autographed.    I had a
litttle CD pouch thing with important CD's in it to this gig, more on that
soon.   When it was my turn, I handed her _Caution Horses_  and asked her to
sign it because it is, i think, my favourite one, and she said, "you know
what?  it's my favourite too."  so that was cool,  and because i'm stoopid,
"cool" was all i could manage to reply.   She signed both.    I asked her if
Karin and Linford were gonna be in the tour bus,  and could i knock on the
door?    She said,  "No,  they're probably in or near their van, parked out
back.  Look there."      She was busy,  i let her alone after that.

We (dearly beloved and i,  burrill gone by now) went around the block, found
the Econoline Van and trailer,  but there was no-one near or inside.  we
went back to our car on the next block.  Oh, what's this?  A tour bus has
parked right behind our little saab.   I wonder who it could be?  "Oh,
look", Monica screamed,  "It's B.B.King!  it's B.B. King's bus!  I wanna
touch it!"  and she went up and touched it, right where it says B.B. King on
 the side!   (i touched it, too).

We pulled away and went to park near the tour Van,  and it was Linford who
stopped ~me~!  I didn't recognize him with his anti-style hat on (it was
chilly!)  and we talked and caught up a little.
Real quick:  (gotta bathe B4 work)  they've got a gig with CBS This Morning,
thanks to a Mr. Mark McEWen, who saw 'em and liked 'em,  and that's
tentatively scheduled for the 2nd week of December.  Live show,  8.A.M. ish
stay tuned here for real details on the announcement list which you have
pussied out to.  (am i being harsh again?  i'm sorry.  sometimes i'm just a
bad man.)    And Emery shows are the 18th and the 19th.  IIRC  (and i
haven't checked back to be sure of this)  there was only one Emery show
scheduled so far.  Now there's 2.     18, 19th.

I talked to all of 'em,   and Monica had quite a conversation with Randy,
both of 'em being Cincy area people once upon a time.

Remember my pouch of important CD's?   I had Linford sign both my Eve and my
Promo Eve,  (he liked that!)  and i pulled out my TW __Bone Machine__ to ask
Karin if she liked Tom Waits,  'cause remember i saw it behind her in
Serpents and Gloves?    Turns out she  "loves Tom Waits!"     Wow,  how cool
that someone with such a gorgeous voice could enjoy a man with such a
destroyed voice,  but well,  now i'm on Cloud 9
(Cloud 9 from Outer Space, is that it?)

I'll get back with you all later for the rest. I'm 15 minutes late with my
appointment for soaky-time.

Um,  anybody up for a double header Anne E. OtR gig in December?    Little
driving never hurt anyone....

Love 'n' stuff,

jg

np:  __Frank's Wild Years__   (what else?!)

sorry for any typo's