Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #324

ok.  after all the seemingly negative reviews of the atlanta show, i
have to put my two cents in about the myrtle beach show.  I LOVED EVERY
SECOND OF IT!!!!!!!  i'm sure a lot of it has to do with my having not
been able to see them in forever, due to me being stuck down here, but
that in mind i still think that it was great show!  while most of the
people there were there to see the junkies, i thought that the audience
on a whole was very receptive of our beloved cincinnatians.  for where i
was standing (right in front of course) everyone seemed to be really
into them.  big grins and big cheers.  the set list i'm sure was the
same as every place else, but karin seemed to be really having a good
time.  she didn't talk as much as i would have liked (linford didn't
talk at all.  not a surprise as of late.), but i think that's to be
expected since it's not really "their" show and they're not really
playing to "their" fans.  i mean, if we want to hear them talk we should
go to a rhinelander get together right?  at this point they're just
trying to sell their music to people who have never heard of them.  so,
that in mind, i think that they're doing everything right right now.

as for the junkies, i enjoyed their show.  it was really nice to see
margo totally interacting with the audience.  lots of waving and direct
eye contact.  and at the end of one of the sets someone standing down
from me in front and waved her over to ask a question.  i didn't think
she'd go, but she surprised me.  she strolled right on over, bent down,
took the kids hand and had a lil conversation with him.  i thought that
was great.  that's the biggest let down i have with over the rhine right
now.  the lack of personalness with audience.  i'm not even talking
about them coming out and mingling with the audience after the show's
anymore.  it's their perogative if they want to do that, but a little
eye contact would be nice.  something to show us that they aknowlage
that their is an audience there that paid to see them.

by far the number one thing that makes over the rhine so much cooler
than the junkies though, is that karin plays the guitar.  it's so great
to see her jammin up there with the rest of the guys.  margo's generally
pretty boring to just watch sing, but i guarentee that if you'd throw a
guitar in her hands, she would just turn into insta cool.  and the
junkies would be about 1000X more exciting to watch.

anyway, that's all i have to say.  i'll shut up again for another couple
months.  hope all is good.

be swell,
cat

ps. heather, i'm sorry i missed you.  i didn't get your message until
     after the show.  bunk.  well, we should try and get together.
     imagine!  someone else in myrlte beach who knows "the secret"!!!