Re: (fwd) Altenative music (no OtR)

In a message dated 10/10/98 1:44:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
binkmeisterrick at juno_com writes:

> i always thought that Lawrence Welk and Gang Of Four would make a good
>  act together...

Yes! That would be the whip! No matter how many times I spin my Welk record,
*Calcutta* still puts me in a state of bliss & contentment. ;)
I listened to Gang of Four several years ago, so I can't remember exactly what
they're like. I think it was some pretty lean -n- funky rock. I was turned on
to them at about the same time as Firehose, so maybe I'm mixed up (? - Help me
out here, bink).

But if I may go back to Calcutta for a moment - (you all know the song - it's
the theme song) When I first got my LP, I dropped the needle on this track
during a couple gatherings I had hosted at my apartment. I recommend this
maneuver to all of you who want to stir things up a bit at a party. My friends
absolutely loved it, and we were all transported to another time & place. One
of my friends that I shared a liking for the morbid with (not too many
Christians with a morbid sense of humor out there, I'm afraid) says "Wow! this
is great! I see bodies being riveted with bullets! I see.. I see *lalale-
lalalala - lalalelalala -* the fields of carnage and.. and _absolute terror_!
This song is so *evil* - my gosh!"
I grew up watching The Lawrence Welk show every Saturday night, just after
bathtime. (Dating myself here - oops) My parents loved it, and it was a family
thing to watch it. I despised Lawrence Welk after awhile, but I sparked a
quirky new liking for him a couple years ago.
It's interesting to have this picture of something so innocent from childhood
twisted into "fields of carnage and.. and _absolute terror_!" - A paradigm
shift, of sorts. I enjoy music that creates mind pictures. For any of you who
have seen "Clockwork Orange" - When you listen to Beethoven or the classic
song "Singin in the Rain", you know what I'm talkin 'bout. Back to work now...

Jay

Today's favorite site:
http://bewoner.dma.be/Bird/

<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
				ICQ #13819982