Re: U2 and nostalgia value (absolutely no otr)/ trendy music / rachel's threats

In a message dated 10/7/98 9:05:05 PM EST, petersen at info2000_net writes:

> We do, however, have here in our house a New Kids 45 and a Menudo 45.
>  Couldn't pass those up. The phrase "kitsch value" is defined in those
>  45s.

my best friend is going through a weird rehash of her new kids fan days. hung
the posters back up and everything. i worry about the poor dear...

i own a milli vanilli cd, as well as vanilla ice. i didn't buy them until a
year or two ago, when i saw them used for a buck or so a piece.  when i'm
making a mix tape for non-seductive purposes, i usually throw something in
from one of them. i also have a captain and tennille lp. once i saw a copy of
it in spanish, and i could shoot myself for not picking it up.

as for the "trendy music" discussion, i'll say what i always say. ('cause i
haven't said it here.)

there are three kinds of people in this world (some of you might hate me for
that generalization alone.)

here are examples of the three. i'm using swing music as an example, but it
works with anything.

conformity: "everyone and their mother likes swing music. i better start
listening to swing music, too. sorry, kenny rogers. no one else loves you
anymore, and even though i do, i better move on."

non-conformity: either "i've always liked swing music. how nice that everyone
and their mother does now, too!" or "everyone and their mother likes swing
music. have you seen my simon and garfunkel record?"

anti-conformity: "everyone and their mother likes swing music. i guess i'll
have to quit listening to it/not start listening to it and move on to
something else. man, this is worse than last year when i had to give up ska!"

the anti-conformist makes the least sense to me. as does the man who says "i
try to avoid trendy music."

oh yeah, and rachel wrote:

> shauna-sheepy-head (sheepyfuzz at aol_com) wrote:
>
>  > by-the-way
>  > i know where rachel gockley lives.
>  > muhahahahahahaha.
>
>  (should i be afraid?)  but then, i do believe i have the address of the one
>  and only miss shauna annette lavoy, as well....<evil grin>

um, so? you don't have midget spies outside my windows though, do you?
(confidential to rachel...Don't. Look. Now.)

i love you all.

love,
sha