Popular Music

With all the recent discussion about "bad" music and groups like Backstreet
Boys and NKOTB, I just thought I would toss a couple of cents in.

I detest (most) radio music.  Most of the music is insincere and the
industry relies on marketability rather than art.  But I think it's
presumptuous to classify *any* music as being bad.  It is, of course, much
more accurate to simply say that you don't care for it, or it makes your
skin crawl, or whatever.  Because everything is subjective, no one can
seriously define whether or not music is bad.

Myself, I prefer the stuff that gets me thinking.  It can be heavy
industrial, wacked-out alternative, soul, jazz, and yes - even catchy pop
music.  It doesn't matter.  If the music moves me (physically or
emotionally) and the words get my mind working, then I'm happy.  Now, there
are certain types of music that very, very rarely fit my criteria (country
and hip-hop spring to mind), but even then there are exceptions.  IMO, one
risks one's own credibility when one begins to designate certain
groups/styles as "good" or "bad".

Now, whoever said that _The Joshua Tree_ was the best CD ever has come
pretty close to the mark - and that's not up for debate.  TJT was U2 at
their finest hour, and no one can argue that it's no good.  ;)

Paul Christian Glenn  |  "Besides being complicated,
cirhsein at top_net      |  reality, in my experience, is
ICQ: #18166400        |  usually odd."  - C.S. Lewis
AIM: cirhsein         |  "...my weakness is my
www.top.net/macnow    |  testimony."  - Charlie Peacock