old skool...

I've been watching the posts, and I had to jump in about the favorite
album thread...
I first saw (and heard) OtR last summer at rosebud in Pgh, PA. They
opened with "Bothered" and it was so beautiful, my chest hurt. (a full
band arrangement- I began to worship Mike's bass playing immediately.
It's a shame that didn't work out.) I bought Besides that night.
I then started working back and listening to their older releases, and
here is where I come out. The old stuff is pretty cool. TWHF isn't a
favorite, but that's just me. (Although I do want my first dance with my
new bride to be Cast me Away/ and Can it be- but I'm still working on
that with her.) Patience is good. Eve is great. I wish I had seen the
band with Ric- he's an amazing musician.
But GDBD and the latter material on Besides (and even DNOTY) have an
intimate queality that I don't feel with the others. The arrangements,
and even the song structures, carry more of a direct emotional impact
than the older material. They're simpler and grab you directly. Or me
directly.
Well, that's my two cents.

Greg