Re: Lurker :)

> > Anyway, I'm glad I did, because
>  > everyone's comments are so interesting. When I get some time II'm going
>  > give Eve and Patience the listening that they deserve. And whoever it was
>  > taht said something about GDBD and ages may be onto something....I think
>  > part of why I like it is because it's _comfortable_ to me...whereas Eve
>  > and Patience are maybe too different.
>
>  Sometimes I like my music to be challenging, and not comfortable at all.

I agree with the age thing... I'm 26 and _Patience_ is my favorite, it just
seems alot more passionate & expressive than GDBD, IMHO. GDBD is a little too
poppy for my _full_ appreciation.
I like my music challenging also, that's part of what first got me into
Einsturzende Neubauten & Laibach. But after a while, the challenging, shocking
& teeth gritting stuff inevitably turns into my comfy bed-time listen - right
along with Bach or Miss Loreena McKennitt or DCD. aahhh.... so the bounds only
push further. It's sensory burnout. Fewer & fewer things surprise me anymore
musically, the sounds & progressions that used to confuse or offend only relax
me. It seems anymore that the most of today's musically challenging stuff is
in the darkwave/ethno-ambient/ambient industry. I *do* still love a simple,
beautiful melody on many occasions, tho.
Chris, can you recommend to me some good, sound challenging music? I put on my
horse-blinders often & probably don't see the same stuff others do.

--->WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS A TANGENT, YET SLIGHTLY RELATED<---
It's ironic, because I've been very much into OtR for almost 7 years now. I
remember those slinky, sweaty passionate nights of watching them at Sudsy
Malone's long ago. Ric used to really get into his soloing then instead of
looking merely *bored*. I've seen them perform live countless times, but only
2 or 3 times since the new lineup. I _do_ like the new lineup very much, tho.
... okay, I'm finally getting to the ironic part: The only cd I actually own
of theirs is DKotY, and I only realized that recently. All you newer listeners
own like everything they ever put out, and I think it's great. I'm sure the
band appreciates that financial support, anyway. I always had a rotating
collection of OtR in & out of my place when I lived in Cinci, due to some of
my absent-minded friends. Now that I'm in MI, I'm going to have to go and drop
a kajillion bucks all at once next time I see them... hrrm.

>  >..but the thing is, I like all sorts
>  > of "odd" music that other people have not heard. So I don't really know
>  > what my deal is, but I'll be keeping an open ear :)
>
>  Want some "odd" music?   Go get some King Crimson albums, then let's talk.
>  ;-)

Right on 20th Century Schizoid Man! btw, if you haven't yet, you must:
<A HREF="http://www.elephant-talk.com/">http://www.elephant-talk.com/</A>
Do you like the Legendary Pink Dots? Now _there's_ some odd music. The older
recordings, anyway.
How about GLOD? or A.D.R.V.?

-Jay