Re: GDBD

>>I think GDBD is easily OtR's best release ('course, I've only got GDBD,
EVE,
>>PATIENCE, BESIDES, and DNOTY. I wish I had TWHF).  BESIDES is probably my
>>second favorite.
>
>Eh.   You can't count _Besides_ since it's a compilation/b sides
>collection.

[In rough-and-ready voice] Hey, man!  I can do anything I want!

Seriously, though, I _do_ count besides, because it's my second favorite
release, regardless of what's on it.  I think I'm sufficiently justified in
that the previously released tracks are altered from their original states.
And what's wrong with b-sides?  What about REM's _Dead Letter Office_?
Can't tell me that doesn't count as an REM record.

>>Why GDBD?  It seems to be the musical fulfillment of what the lyrics have
>>been saying all along.
>
>"Musical fulfullment"?   Yikes!   It's easily the most uninspired and
>monotonous OTR album - musically, that is.   If it moves you, great,
>but I guess I just need more than 2 key changes per album.

The number of key changes doesn't interest me very much.  I like the record
because it's simple and beautiful all at once (kind of like christmas
carolers - not usually the best talents, but moving nonetheless).

>>It's beautiful and painful and doesn't smell like
>>rock 'n' roll (which OtR has never successfully pulled off anyway).
>
>What?   Did you ever see OTR live anytime from late '92-'94?   They
>just plain RAWKED the house.    I've got tapes to prove it, if you
>don't believe me.

>Don't tell me OTR could never rock.  I ain't buying it.

I confess, I have only seen them live since GDBD, but I do have the
_Serpents and Gloves_ video.  I'm not saying that they're no good with the
more aggressive stuff, but I just don't think it's in their blood (well,
Linford's anyway, if his writing is any indicator).

The lyrics have always been poetic, and rock 'n' roll is anything but.  The
musical feel of GDBD just seemed to finally fit what the words were saying
(to me, anyway).  But don't think that I don't like the others.  _Patience_
was fairly mellow, and very close to the mark.

Paul Christian Glenn  |  "Besides being complicated,
cirhsein at top_net      |  reality, in my experience, is
ICQ: #18166400        |  usually odd."  - C.S. Lewis
AIM: cirhsein         |  "...my weakness is my
www.top.net/macnow    |  testimony."  - Charlie Peacock